Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Breakfast Biscuits
I love southern comfort food and nothing says southern comfort like a biscuit – that savory, crumbly baked good which demands to be warmed and topped with butter.
This is exactly what this week’s delight, Gluten-free, Dairy-free Breakfast Biscuits offer. The traditional biscuit texture plus, bacon, onion, red pepper, garlic and spinach all wrapped up into a tasty package.
Breakfast Biscuits by Laura Friendly Start to Finish: 1 hour Makes: 12 biscuits
- 1 cup soy milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 8 slices crispy cooked gluten-free bacon, diced (remove as much fat as possible)
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese, optional
- 3 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray a muffin tin with vegan cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy milk with lemon juice. Allow to sit for 15 minutes (this becomes a vegan buttermilk).
- In a saute pan, over medium heat, saute red peppers for 5 minutes. Add in scallions, garlic and bacon, saute for 2 minutes. Add in spinach and saute until wilted. Allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: vegan buttermilk, oil, eggs and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to create a thick batter. Note: I use my KitchenAid mixer for this step
- Using a large spatula, fold cooled vegetables, bacon and vegan cheese into the batter.
- Divide batter into oiled muffin tins — they will be quite full. Lightly grease your fingers and gently press/shape the tops of each biscuit.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
- Allow pan to cool slightly (about 5 minutes), then remove biscuits from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Note: Store covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Other Laura Friendly Gluten & Dairy-free Delights:
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!