Listen, kale has had its time in the sun for long enough — it’s about time for some new superfoods to have a shot at being ~trendy~. Whole Foods Market has predicted the top food trends for 2018 and while kale is out, mushrooms and tacos are in! Whole Foods’ global buyers and experts pulled together the list of foods they anticipate to grow in popularity in the coming year and they are…
1. Edible flowers and floral flavors: Bougie restaurants have been garnishing dishes with edible flowers for a while now, but expect to see way more of it, plus look forward to lavender, rose, and elderflower-infused everything.
2. Super powders: Super powders like maca, matcha, cacao, turmeric, and spirulina have been popular for smoothie fanatics, but plan to see these finely ground powders listed at your favorite juice bar alongside standard favorites like wheat grass and spinach.
3. Functional mushrooms: Functional mushrooms are not the typical button mushrooms you sometimes add to pasta. Functional mushrooms have mostly been used in dietary supplements, but now varietals like reishi, chaga, cordyceps, and lion’s mane will show up in ingredient lists everywhere: from bottled drinks to coffee.
4. Middle Eastern cuisine: In 2018, Middle Eastern cuisine will become much more popular. Whole Foods says to expect spices like harissa, cardamom, and za’atar as well as “dishes like shakshuka, grilled halloumi and lamb. Other trending Middle Eastern ingredients include pomegranate, eggplant, cucumber, parsley, mint, tahini, tomato jam and dried fruits.”
5. Plant-based meat alternatives: People will be devouring more plant-based alternative foods like, tuna-free sushi made with tomatoes, and veggie burgers that bleed like real meat. Buh bye basic veggie patties.
6. Tacos: Yes, Taco Tuesday is already a thing, but expect taco twists like dessert tacos, tacos with seaweed shells, and grain-free tortillas for paleo-friendly folk.