Dark and Stormy Cupcakes, An Ode to Summer
It was a dark and stormy summer night. . . Okay, no it wasn’t. But I do enjoy a good dark and stormy on a tropical-hot summer night. The ginger beer, rum and lime makes for a seriously perfect and refreshing vacation cocktail. Do not wait for vacation: You can enjoy these summer-drink-inspired cupcakes in the comfort of your own kitchen!
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped ginger
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (1 cup sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp of rum (set rum aside)
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and milk.
Add dry ingredients, including ground ginger, slowly. Mix in minced ginger (I actually chopped the ginger in a food processor).
Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Use the 2 tablespoons of rum you set aside to lightly brush the tops of cupcakes.
Now for the buttercream lime frosting!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ (AKA powdered) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3½ tablespoons lime juice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon rum, or rum to taste
Mix it up. (If icing is too runny, add more sugar. If too thick, add a splash of milk.)
Garnish with limes, ginger or zest! (I used all three!)