12 Kickass Quotes from Celebs About Positive Body Image
Contrary to what the media tells you, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Though magazines may champion a size 0 as the “magic number,” they neglect to mention that striving for a smaller waistline is not the only way to achieve a healthy body image. For celebrities who are constantly in the spotlight, recognizing this fact can be significantly more difficult. Luckily, though, some have been able to see past the media’s manipulating ways and love themselves for who they are, not what they look like.
1) “The more I like me, the less I want to pretend to be other people.” – Jamie Lee Curtis
2) “You have to remember that it’s not practical or possible for an everyday woman to look like [models]. Being size zero is a career in itself so we shouldn’t try and be like them. It’s not realistic and it’s not healthy.” – Rihanna
3) “I’m pretty comfortable with my body. I’m imperfect. The imperfections are there. People are going to see them, but I take the view you only live once.” – Kate Hudson
4) “Even I don’t wake up looking like Cindy Crawford.” – Cindy Crawford
5) “Who cares if there are lumps on my thighs? I’m guilty of having human legs made up of fat, muscle, and skin, and sometimes when you sit, they get bumpy!” – Kristen Bell
6) “Being pregnant finally helped me understand what my true relationship was with my body–meaning that it wasn’t put on this Earth to look good in a swimsuit. I was like, ‘Look, I can carry a baby! I’m gaining weight right, everything’s going well.” – Amy Adams
7) “I’ve learned that if you’re too skinny, they’ll say something about it. If you’re not skinny enough, they’ll say something about it. I just try to feel good in my own skin as much as I can.” – Jennifer Love Hewitt
8) “I remember reading these articles when I was younger, and I just felt like, well, in order to look like that, you have to have some secret, magical unicorn blood that makes carbs disappear as they go into your body. I prefer the truth.” – Olivia Munn
9) “Pretty much everyone I know, no matter what size, is trying some system. Even when someone gets to looking like she should be so proud of herself, instead she’s like, ‘I could be another three pounds less; I could be a little taller and have bigger lips.’ Where does it end? You just have to say, ‘It’s pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I’m OK with it. I’ve got other things to think about.'” —Melissa McCarthy
10) “Take your time and your talent and figure out what you have to contribute to this world. And get over what the hell your butt looks like in those jeans!” – America Ferrera
11) “You’re a human being, you live once and life is wonderful, so eat the damn red velvet cupcake.” – Emma Stone.
12. “Actresses have definitely gotten thinner over the course of my lifetime. Women I admired growing up—Debra Winger, Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep-were all beautiful and thin, but not too thin. There are a lot of actresses who are unhealthy-skinny—much, much too skinny. You can’t Pilates to that. I’m a very small person, and if I lost 15 pounds, I’d look like them; it’s scary. For young girls, what does that say? You need to look this way to be successful? That’s not true. You do not need to look or be anorexic to be successful in Hollywood. The range of what’s acceptable is larger than what people believe.”—Zooey Deschanel