It isn’t summer if you don’t get a little R&R outside with a book or a barbecue — but often, pesky bugs ruin those plans and force you back in doors. This beautiful DIY luminary is not only amazing to look at, but will actually repel the bugs that suck the fun out of summer.
Add in lemon and lime slices, fresh basil and rosemary, and lavender plus some water, and you have yourself a citrusy summer outdoor decoration. Don’t forget the lemongrass essential oil, which is key to repelling those mosquitos and giving it an added heavenly scent. Light a candle and kick back. Perfect for a deck or patio — just remember not to drink it. Watch the video below for instructions.
DIY Bug Repellent Jars
Lemongrass essential oil
1. Cut the lemon and lime into thin slices. Add a few slices to each mason jar.
2. Add basil leaves, rosemary sprigs and lavender to the jars.
3. Fill each jar with water, leaving room for the floating candle.
4. Add 10-15 drops of lemongrass essential oil to each jar.
5. Place the floating candle in the water.