This cheesy rainbow pull-apart bread is better than a pot of gold — really
There’s a lot of magical cheesy food on the rainbow spectrum, like this rainbow grilled cheese recipe, but nothing could be more magical, cheesy, or delicious than cheesy rainbow pull-apart bread. This recipe is perfect for a kids’ party, or even just a get together between a group of unicorn-loving friends. The dough is legit yeast roll dough from scratch, so it’s light, airy, and extra good. Don’t forget it’s filled with oozing, melting cheese.
Next time you hit up a dinner party, offer to bring bread and make this recipe. You’ll be sure to truly bring happiness to everybody there. Try every cheesy color, then see what color your mouth turns. Seriously, this is the most colorful and beautiful cheesy bread you’ll ever have in your life.
Cheesy Rainbow Pull-Apart Bread
Serves 8 to 10 (serving size: about 4 pieces)
Active 45 min. Total 4 hours
1 cup warm water (100°F to 110°F)
1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
4 cups (about 17 oz.) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Assorted food coloring gel (such as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
1 (16-oz.) pkg. pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (optional)
1. Combine warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand until foam has formed, about 10 minutes.
2. Whisk in oil, honey, egg, egg yolks, and remaining sugar into yeast mixture. Stir together flour and salt in a large bowl. With dough hook attachment on medium-low speed, gradually add flour mixture to yeast mixture. Beat until dough begins to pull away from sides of bowl. (Dough should be tacky, but not wet).
3. Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Add a couple of drops of food coloring gel to each dough portion, 1 color per portion. On a floured work surface, knead dough until color is incorporated, adding more gel and flour as needed (the gel will make the dough wet). (This step takes some time. Use gloves!!).
4. Place each dough portion in a separate glass bowl coated with cooking spray. Lightly spray top of dough, and cover. Let rise in warm place (80°F to 85°F), free from drafts, until doubled in size, 2 to 3 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide shredded cheese among 6 bowls or ziplock bags. Add 1 or 2 drops of a color to each, and toss to incorporate color. Set aside.
6. Beginning with red dough, portion dough into 1 to 1 1/2 oz. pieces. Roll dough pieces between your hands to form a strip. Roll each strip of dough into correlating colored cheese, and tie into a knot. Place dough knots side-by-side onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough colors and cheese, creating a rainbow. Let rise in a warm place, 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Cover bread with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven 22 to 25 minutes. Brush with melted butter before serving, if desired.