A man was electrocuted by charging his phone in bed, and here's what you should know to prevent it
For most of us — and for better or worse — our phones are a major part of our day-to-day. They serve as our GPSs, our alarms, our to-do lists, our entertainment, our internet connection, and (yes), our phones. So keeping them charged is pretty important.
But one Alabama man was electrocuted while charging his phone in bed, and this is a seriously scary potential hazard.
According to Wiley Day (who is is thankfully doing okay after three days in the hospital and second and third degree burns), he was awakened in the middle of the night when his metal necklace connected with the prongs of the charger on his phone (which was connected to an extension cord).
Apparently, the jolt from the electricity around his neck threw Day out of his bed and onto the floor. He began losing his vision, at which point he was able to call to his family for help.
“From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed,” he continued. “I mean, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t wish what happened to me on my worst enemy.”
A local physician said that Day is “lucky to be alive,” and we’re now going to be VERY careful when it comes to charging our phones in bed (especially when an extension cord is involved).
It can be easy to get lackadaisical about safety, but this is a super important reminder to be careful with electronics — and that includes our phones!