Happy National Goof Off Day!
March 22nd is National Goof Off Day!
Most of us live busy lives. Work usually dominates our time during the week, and if you’re like me, the weekend sometimes just feels like time to collapse, recover, and prep for the coming week. But honestly, it feels like life has been nonstop crazy ever since high school. As a kid, growing up gave us plenty of time to be goofy. We had opportunities to not be serious and to really explore the world around us. Not only that, but we were allowed to be silly and it wasn’t considered a negative thing. We could always count on recess in elementary school. Middle school was transitional, trying to not freak us out about high school as we got adjusted to all of our raging hormones. But when high school hits, for most of us, so does reality. We need to focus now. We need to keep in mind that we are working toward a goal now, and our future career depends on it. As an adult, being goofy is oftentimes seen as not caring at all about the important things in life, and not being serious or goal oriented.
I think that this is a huge problem. Being silly or goofy is a very important part of allowing yourself to enjoy life in the moment. Sure, there are times when you need to focus, and when goofing off would not be a good idea. For example, if you are in a business meeting, you should probably have your serious work face on. But taking downtime to shake things up and refresh your brain by taking your focus off of the stressful tasks at hand is ultimately a healthy thing to do. Your brain needs a break! And you will focus better on your serious tasks when you allow yourself to have such breaks. When is the last time that you really gave yourself permission to goof off?
How to Celebrate
Here are a few easy ideas of ways to goof off today:
- Lunch break dance party. Self explanatory.
- Watch A Goofy Movie. I’ve never seen it, but who better to give lessons on being goofy than Goofy himself?!
- Plan a goofy activity with some friends. Whatcha doin’ after work? Wanna take a picnic and watch the larpers in the park? And then we can stargaze, and after that go home and make a tent in the living room and watch reruns of Who’s Line is it Anyway! See, that wasn’t so hard.
- Channel your inner Jessica Day. This girl knows how to be goofy in all the right ways. Awkwardly endearing and quirky– and totally lovable.
- When in doubt, dance it out. This can add a little silliness to any situation. It comes all too naturally to me, as I find myself doing this on the daily.
Quote of the Day
“The best things in life are silly.” – Scott Adams
“I like girls who really don’t care what other people are thinking – girls who are a little goofy. I think that’s sexy.” – Ryan Lochte “I had a good loud voice and I wasn’t afraid to be goofy or zany.” – Carol Burnett
Featured image via ShutterStock