17 simple ways to make yourself feel happier
Everyone has a down day (or several). What’s important is coping with it and pulling yourself into a better place. We asked the HelloGiggles staff what little things they do to feel happier. Here, our amazingly simple happiness hacks:
1. Send someone a nice text — putting good karma out there means it usually comes back to you.
2. Take a hot shower and sprinkle a few drops of essential oil in the tub. Lavender and peppermint can calm you down, while scents like orange, grapefruit, and lemongrass are refreshing and energizing.
3. Make a list of Airbnbs for a city you want to visit. Even if you don’t go, being lost in a travel daydream is a great way to escape.
4. Go with the “it will all be better in the morning” philosophy. Take a bath, get into bed early, and watch old episodes of your favorite TV shows. Drift off to sleep way before bedtime and wake up refreshed and ready to start new.
5. Look at old Instagram pictures of good times. Maybe even screenshot one that reminds you of an event and send it to a friend.
6. Take a different route home. Breaking up daily routine can make you feel more engaged with your surroundings. Plus, you might discover something new along the way.
7. If you have a personal blog, read old entries — it’s a great way to remember how far you’ve come.
8. Blast music in a dark room. Whatever gets you going — whether it’s something pumping like Grimes to something soothing like Enya — let the music completely take you over.
9. Look up pictures of Disneyland on Instagram. It’s the happiest place on Earth, after all!
10. Text your mom, dad, or close family member and ask them something random about their day. Chances are, it’ll make you laugh.
11. Listen to music from your favorite musical. And sing along.
12. Kick it back to your childhood and watch some YouTube vids of Bob Ross doing his incredibly calming painting thing.
13. Take a break from your computer/phone screen. Trust us: It’ll reset your mind. Even if you only do it for 15 minutes.
14. Go on a “$5 shopping spree.” Maybe you pick up a piece of fancy chocolate or a drugstore nail polish. A little “treat yo self” moment could give you just the boost you’re looking for.
15. Send some ridiculous Snapchats to friends. It’s always hilarious. Always.