We’re bringing back your favorite hair accessory from the ’90s: This crafty, on-trend DIY is just what you need to add some color and sparkle to your hairdo. Talk about an upgrade from your average hair elastic. The best part? These scrunchies won’t pull or snag your hair, so they’re perfect for everyday wear.
Use your favorite printed or unicorn-inspired fabric for the base of the scrunchie. Then all you need is a needle and colorful string. With a few stitches, you’ll see how easy it is to create these DIY scrunchies. Go channel your inner unicorn rider by rocking one of these in your hair.
Watch the video below to see how to create these kitschy unicorn scrunchies.
DIY Unicorn Scrunchies
Fabric (1/4 yd. makes ~ 2 scrunchies)
Large safety pin
1. Cut a 5-inch x 20-inch rectangle out of the fabric.
2. Fold the rectangle in half with the right sides of the fabric facing each other on the inside. Pin in place.
3. Double up the thread and sew 1/2-inch from the edge. Tie a knot at the end and trim any excess thread.
4. Turn the fabric right-side out.
5. Fold in one of the ends and insert the other end. Whipstitch the ends together, leaving a hole for the elastic.
6. Attach a 9-inch string of elastic to a large safety pin.
Insert the head of the safety pin into the hole and push it through the other end.
7. Double knot the ends of the elastic. Pull in the elastic knot to hide it.