Sew Cute: Three-Strand Braided Bracelet
Coachella might have ended, but festival season is just heating up. It seems like the lineup for a new event is announced just about every week. I’m personally a little sad to be missing out on my Pacific Northwest’s Sasquatch Festival, although with Pitchfork and Lollapalooza, it’s not like Chicago is hurting for live music! Whether or not I end up attending one of these mega-concerts this year, I definitely have festival style on my mind. And in that aforementioned mind, festivals equal breezy, bohemian fashions equal braids.
This braided bracelet is a super easy way to add a bit of festival-inspired flair to your look. The three strands add some interesting volume to the otherwise very delicate piece, and the braids look great with any combination of colors. It also reminds me of a grown-up friendship bracelet, which is definitely a plus!
- Embroidery floss in three colors
- Thread in a corresponding color to the floss
- Basic sewing needle
- Three-strand clasps (available at most craft stores)
- Measuring tape
- Safety pin
- Measure around your wrist, and add 1/2-inch to the measurement.
- Cut three pieces of each color of embroidery floss, 3 inches longer than that measurement.
- Separate one strand of each color of embroidery floss. Knot the three strands together.
- Poke the safety pin through the knot, and then attach the pin to the leg of your jeans. This will give you a good base for braiding.
- Braid the strands together. Try your best to keep your plaits even, but don’t worry if they aren’t perfect.
- Once you have about an inch of floss left, knot the end of the braid and unpin it from your jeans.
- Repeat the above steps until you have three braids.
- Trim the ends of floss from the knots.
- Cut a few feet of thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Sew the knotted end of each braid to a hoop on the clasp, using a looping motion. Use plenty of stitches to ensure a strong connection.
- Trim any loose ends of thread.
- You’re finished! Slip your bracelet on and show off your fresh, festival-inspired style.