Sew Cute: Pretty Hair Clips
Minor confession: I’m not very good at doing my hair. I admire the intricate braids and pretty curls other people wear, but I often have trouble replicating popular looks myself (although I did rock some butterfly clips back in the day). I am also lucky enough to have roughly a ton of hair—or unlucky, depending on how thorough my combing has been recently. So when I’m not relying on the easy-chic updo, the humble hair clip is my styling best friend. But even though I’m low maintenance with my hair, I don’t want it to look boring. And those clips are, well, basic at best.
The solution? Un-basic those clips with some little bows, pretty rosettes, or dainty flowers —basically anything you want! The wonderful thing about a blank canvas is that it’s just waiting to be added to. With a couple of appliqués from the craft store and a little time, you can make your own set of darling hair clips.
- Small appliqués or sewing embellishments (you can usually find them next to the buttons in the craft store)
- Basic metal hair clips
- Thread in a corresponding color to the appliqués
- Basic sewing needle
- Cut a couple feet of thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Sew each appliqué to a clip. Make small stitches on the front part of the appliqué, and loop the thread across the bar of the clip in the back. Sew several stitches on each clip to make sure the appliqués are secure.
- To knot each appliqué in place, pass the needle back under the thread of your final stitch.
- Trim any remaining ends of thread.
- There you have it! A set of sweet, personalized hair clips sure to add extra oomph to your ‘do.