Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' Cleopatra Inspired, Eye Make-Up Tutorial!
You may well be aware that here at HelloGiggles we’re big fans of Katy Perry, and personally she is one of my beauty icons. A few days ago we shared Katy’s new video for her single ‘Dark Horse’ with you guys, so today I’ll be showing you how to get the look!
Katy’s make-up in the video goes perfectly with her Egyptian, Cleopatra theme. She sports two main make-up looks, one with purple eyeshadow and one with blue, and both with extremely graphic eyeliner! In this tutorial I will be showing you how to replicate the blue and gold eyeshadow look in a wearable way.
Katy’s eye make-up look is extremely reminiscent of the iconic portrayal of Cleopatra by the gorgeous Elizabeth Taylor in 1963 film. Cleopatra, the last active pharaoh of Ancient Egypt, has often been modernly depicted as rocking extremely thick, flicked eyeliner and bright blue eyeshadow.
Get the look!
1. Prep your eyelids with a primer and then add a gold eyeshadow to your entire lid, from the lash line to the inner corners of your eye, up to under your eyebrow.
2. Using a flat eyeshadow brush, add a bright, light blue colour to your lid and into the crease of your eyelid.
3. With a fluffier blending brush, lightly blend at the crease.
4. Apply liquid or gel eyeliner. Click here for my tutorial on how to apply perfectly flicked eyeliner! Extend the eyeliner down into the inner corner of your eyelid.
5. Apply a small, curved line that extends from your ‘flick’ just into the crease of your eyelid.
6. Add lots of black eyeliner pencil to your waterline, and using a small, precise eyeshadow brush, smudge a small amount of the same blue eyeshadow to just under your lower lashes.
And there you go! Perfect for costume parties or anytime you wish to look dramatic!
In order to make the look more wearable for day-to-day, I suggest not extending the eyeliner too far down into the inner corner of your eyelid.