23 of the most outrageous and truly memorable looks from the MTV Video Music Awards
With the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards around the corner, we couldn’t help but think about all the amazingly outrageous and truly memorable looks from all the past VMA’s. The red carpet for this landmark show has really grown to become THE place for celebs to show off their most creative looks – some a little more ~loud~ than others, perhaps.
Here’s a look back at some of the most memorable outfits from past Video Music Awards shows, starting with the most recent.
1. Miley Cyrus in custom Versace at the 2015 awards.
Miley has truly dominated the VMA’s red carpet the last few years.
2. Blac Chyna and Amber Rose in their matching ~wordy~ outfits at the 2015 awards.
People could not stop talking about these statement looks the next day.
3. Miley’s scene-stealing nude look at the 2013 awards.
The beginning of a new era.
4. Nicki Minaj in an outfit worthy of a museum at the 2011 awards.
So much going on!
5. Beyoncé’s outfit at the 2011 awards wasn’t outrageous, so much as it was iconic because of her baby bump reveal!
One of the CUTEST moments to ever happen at the VMA’s.
6. Katy Perry’s amazing yellow cube hat at the 2011 awards.
Looking amazing while accepting the “Video of the Year” award!
7. Lady Gaga in her unforgettable meat dress at the 2010 awards.
We’ll never forget.
8. Lady Gaga’s red lace number at the 2009 awards.
Which she wore while accepting the “Best New Artist” award.
9. Britney and Christina re-creating Madonna’s bridal look from the 1982 VMA’s (albeit slightly modified and modernized) for this iconic moment.
The world collectively lost its shit.
10. Christina’s feathery pink dress at the 2003 awards.
So. Much. Pink.
11. Britney’s all-leather look at the 2002 awards.
12. Christina’s ~edgy~ look at the 2002 awards.
The birth of Xtina.
13. Macy Gray’s dress that she used to promote her new album at the 2001 awards.
14. Britney’s unforgettable accessory at the 2001 awards: an actual snake!
15. And Britney’s OTHER unforgettable performance outfit, a sparkly nude number at the 2000 awards.
Remember when she sang “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction?!?”
16. J. Lo’s studded Sean Jean outfit at the 2000 awards.
Winner of the “Best Dance Video” award.
17. Pink’s multi-textured look at the 2000 awards.
The, hair, the coat, the cut off waist on the jeans – so awesomely 2000!
18. Pam Anderson’s fluffy pink hat at the 1999 awards.
Also, OMG, the corset!
19. Lil’ Kim in her unforgettable all-purple outfit at the 1999 awards.
The pastie was everything.
20. Gwen Stefani and her futuristic fashion at the 1998 awards.
Still love that furry blue bikini top.
21. Rose McGowan and her chainmail dress at the 1998 awards.
Also, bonus points to Marilyn Manson and his matching hair and fur trim.
22. Madonna in her stunning 18th century costume gown performing “Vogue” at the 1990 awards.
Yes, yes, and yes.