DIY Grunge Plaid Skirt
Plaid is a fall classic. This old school look has new life thanks to the grunge trend. We DIY’d this skirt to stand out… so get on it!
– XL men’s plaid shirt
– 2 yards black lace trim
– Measuring tape
– Needle & thread
– Straight pins
- Step 1: cut the shirt in half horizontally (under the arms)
- Step 2: fold the top inwards so button is 1” under crease, secure with pins
- Step 3: snip underside to match button hole
- Step 4: sew underside to top at the button and hole
- Step 5: use basting stitch across skirt- two inches under top fold
- basting stitch is a super wide over/under just to hold fabric in place
- do not tie off the thread!!
- Step 6: measure hips where skirt will sit, plus about 3” slack
- Step 7: pull thread to gather skirt until it equals hip measurement
- Step 8: even out gathered fabric and pin down lace over basting stitch
- Step 8: sew on lace
- – be sure to sew through pleats and stop before button and hole
Rock it! It’s too cute styled with a tucked-in black tank or tee.