Even Snow White Doesn’t Always Love Her Job
Turns out the life of a full-time Disney princess isn’t all happy endings, fireworks and small birds singing by your side. An actress (formerly known as princess) from Disneyland recently revealed some scathing requirements on a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” thread, and it turns out it’s a lot more than just taking pictures with small children and looking pretty all the time.
1. The interview process is killer. You have to have similar features to the character you’re auditioning for, do a dance, read some lines and then be prepared for a sit-down interview.
2. There’s a height requirement and it’s pretty much the opposite of supermodels. Fairies, Alice (in Wonderland) and Wendy (from Peter Pan) can’t clock in any taller than 5’2″.
3. The unofficial age limit, however, is similar to that of a supermodel. Most princesses and fairies age out around 27.
4. You pretty much have to be able to quote the movie from start to finish. Something that the people who actually voiced the characters never had to do.
5. Even princesses don’t get paid what they should these days. The princess who did the AMA says she started at $13.50 and left at $16.00 an hour. Apparently, Disney doesn’t do big raises — only about $.15 per year.
6. “When we were performing in the park there were lots of rules about how we were to carry ourselves,” she says. “Not sitting, always smiling, always doing the voice, etc. We also weren’t supposed to refer to things outside the Disney realm. Snow White does not know Thomas the Tank Engine.”
The good news? The princesses had 45 minute sets with a 15 minute break at the end of each set and when the temperature rises, that time gets reduced even more so that everyone can take a breather. So at least they realize these characters are actually three-dimensional humans.
This doesn’t sound NEARLY as much fun as being a real-life mermaid. Are you surprised to hear about the strict rules in the Magic Kingdom? Any other former princesses out there?Featured image courtesy of Disney