Meaghan Kirby
November 02, 2017 12:34 pm

As the allegations of sexual misconduct continue to grow, actor Kevin Spacey has reportedly entered treatment.

“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” Spacey's representatives said in a statement to The New York Times. “No other information will be available at this time.”

Last week, Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp revealed to BuzzFeed that an intoxicated Spacey made unwanted sexual advances toward him during a party in New York City in 1986 when he was just 14 — Spacey was 26 at the time. In a statement posted to Twitter, the House of Cards actor apologized for his behavior toward Rapp, while maintaining he has no recollection of the event, and said, “I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.” 

Since then, numerous other men have come forward with allegations of unwanted sexual advances and other misconduct against the actor, including filmmaker Tony Montana and actor Roberto Cavazos, the latter saying in a Facebook post that Spacey was known to make advances on younger men.

In the wake of allegations, Netflix announced that Spacey-led series House of Cards would end after its sixth season. Since then, production on the sixth season has been put on hold indefinitely.

Rochelle Brodin/Stringer/Getty Images

Cavazos wrote that many actors who performed at the Old Vic theater in London during Spacey’s tenure as artistic director were also sexually harassed by the actor.

"It seems that it only took a male under 30 to make Mr. Spacey feel free to touch us," Cavazos wrote, revealing that Spacey would often approach young male actors under the guise of discussing their budding careers. "I do not remember how many people told me the same story: Spacey invited them to meet him to 'talk about their careers.' When they arrived at the theater, the gentleman had prepared a picnic with champagne on the stage, beautifully lit. Each story varied in how far the picnic came, but the technique was the same. More common was that the man was in the bar of his theater, squeezing whoever caught his attention."

The Old Vic has since come under scrutiny for allegedly turning a blind eye to Spacey’s behavior during his 12-year tenure at the theater. Despite the theater maintaining that no complaints against the actor were made while he served as artistic director and in the years since his departure, numerous employees have come forward to say that Spacey’s behavior was not only well-known but that the theater and its employees were involved in covering it up. An anonymous employee told The Guardian. “We were all involved in keeping it quiet. I witnessed him groping men many times in all sorts of different situations.”

It’s currently unknown what exactly Spacey is seeking treatment for.

You May Like