The CDC just released some staggering new data about how many Americans need more sleep

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention just published its first national survey of sleep across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, confirming what we’ve all feared: We’re all drinking so much coffee because we aren’t getting enough sleep.

The average person needs about seven-plus hours of shut-eye, but the CDC has discovered that more than one third of the American adult population is falling short of that. There are definitely times we are guilty of not getting enough…especially after a binge-watching session of Orange Is the New Black that went until 3 a.m.

The CDC called up 444,306 random people for this study, and categorized the data they collected via phone survey based on marital status, geography, race/ethnicity, and employment. Here’s what they found: 65 percent of the respondents reported having a “healthy sleep duration,” which the CDC defines as at least seven hours. That leaves 35 percent of random Americans who reported not getting seven hours of sleep a night.

If you thought quitting your job might free up some time for more Z’s, think again: Unemployment or inability to work appeared to negatively impact sleep time. Previous studies have also shown that unemployed people suffer from worse sleep quality and conditions like depression.

Those with college degrees or higher were more likely to get the recommended amount of sleep—it could be because they’re more likely to know how important sleep is to staying healthy, or maybe their financial stability allows them to rest more easily.

The CDC also found that race can be a factor: According to the study, black and mixed race participants were prone to being sleep-deprived.

And finally, married people were more likely to get the requisite seven hours. If that’s not an argument or tying the knot, we don’t know what is!

Both the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society say that you should get at least seven hours of sleep per night. Those who don’t get their beauty sleep are at a higher risk for obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and mental distress.

Do we have to say it again? Get some sleep, guys!

Filed Under