Every summer beauty trick we're totally obsessed with right now
Flowers are blooming, days are getting longer, the weather is improving (if you live somewhere other than the UK, of course) and it’s time to switch up your beauty routine. In the summer months, you can get away with lighter bases, brighter colors and more shimmer. I’ve put together some looks and ideas in the hope that they’ll put a spring in your step (and make-up bag!)
The warmer months are the perfect time to try the dewy, light make-up look. Swap your heavy-coverage foundation for a lighter tinted moisturiser and a shimmery highlighter.
I’m in love with the Radiant Touch creamy stick highlighter from Kiko. Just dab the product onto your upper cheekbones, the bridge of your nose and your cupids bow, and blend with your fingertips. Alternatively, you could use a powder highlighter and brush to create a glowing complexion. I adore the gold Baked Highlighter by Icing– try dusting some on your collar bones and your legs too!
Instead of utilizing multiple shades of eyeshadow, try one subtle wash of color. One light, bright shade swept across the entire eyelid will add a real pop of color. You could pair this technique with a bright lip for a party or date night, or keep it simple with nude lips and clean skin for a fresh look at the office.
- It’s important to prime your eyelids with a suitable product, as this will keep the shadow on your lid, prevent unsightly creasing, and will stop any fallout. Use your finger to blend some eyeshadow primer onto your eyelid and up into the eyelid crease. For this look, I used Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Soft Ochre, by MAC.
- To apply the eyeshadow, use a smaller shading brush to pack the product onto your eyelid. I recommend the Real Techniques small shading brush. Choose either a light green, light blue or light pink shade. Matte eyeshadows work just as well as shimmer eyeshadows for this look. Be sure to blend well, and keep the shade very light. I used Pixi Beauty Fairy Dust in shade 2.
- With a fluffier blending brush, wash the color over your entire lid.
- With a clean eyeshadow brush, add a golden eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eyelids and under your eyebrows. I used Kitten by Stila.
- Finish the look with a pop of blush and a swipe of bright lipstick. For this look, I used Benefit Cosmetic’s Coralista blush and Impassioned by MAC, respectively.
The chapped, dry lips of winter are (hopefully) behind us, so it’s time to celebrate with bright lip colour. Whether you prefer durable lip stains, lip liners, lip gloss or lipstick, go bold or go home this summer. Prep lips with a lip scrub and a small amount of lip balm/lip primer and you’re good to go!
When it comes to bright lip colors, confidence and a steady hand are key. Remember, the best thing you can wear is a smile, so embrace it!
I’m currently lusting over…
- ‘Magpie’ nail colour by Topshop
- ‘Impassioned’ Amplified Lipstick by MAC Cosmetics
- MUA’s Intense Glitter eyeliner in ‘Jade Jewel’
- Smokey Eye Mascara by Bobbi Brown
(Featured image via Shutterstock)