Summer isn’t just officially on, we’re through a lot of it now. With that being said, there are tons of beauty trends that just simply don’t matter during the colder months. Although all of these tips and tricks can be used any time of year, they are predominately seen during the summer months. But hey, to my fellow friends in the north, maybe if we all come together and wear beach waves during December we’ll get lucky and the temperature won’t fall below twenty degrees! (Hey, a girl can dream, right?)
So, even if you haven’t been following summer beauty musts (like the ones for safety — more on that later), there’s no time like the present to start.
Summer Hair Tips:
“Beach” waves are a huge summer trend. This could be because they give an illusion that you were out all day being social at the beach, or just because they look really cute all the time. Whatever your reason may be, there are so many ways to do this timeless look, you barely have a reason not to try it out! All of the suggestions below require NO HEAT, in the efforts to save every last strand of hair on your pretty little heads from the horror that is heat damage.
Option 1: DIY
For this you’re gonna need a few ingredients, but they’re nothing you can’t drive to your local grocery store and pick up!
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Salt (half sea salt and half table salt is recommended, but you can use whatever you’ve got!)
- 1 Teaspoon Hair Gel
- 1 Teaspoon Leave-In Conditioner (this also isn’t super necessary, if you don’t have it, don’t worry about it)
- 1 Cup Water
- Spray Bottle
- Put the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl (medium sized) and microwave until melted. This should be about 15-30 seconds.
- Mix in the salt, hair gel and leave-in condition (if you’re using) and stir until it’s combined.
- Heat the water until it’s hot- but not boiling hot. Stir this into the coconut oil mixture.
- Pour into spray bottle. Be careful not to spill- a funnel might help!
- Spray very generously onto damp hair and let air dry!
Option 2: You could just go buy some!
There are a lot of store-bought options for products to help you get beachy waves. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray by Not Your Mother’s (5.99 at Ulta/5.99 at Walgreens)
- Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray by John Frieda (9.99 at Ulta/8.99 at Target)
- Surf Spray by Bumble and Bumble (27.00 at Sephora for 4 ounces/15.00 at Sephora for 1.7 ounces)
Summer Skincare Tips:
Now, as cute as you’ll look with beachy waves, the following tips aren’t really optional — they’re just vitally important for keeping your skin healthy and glowy (instead of burned and shriveled) when you’re out in the summer sun.
I cannot even stress how important moisturizing is, not only in the summer but all year around! Find a moisturizer that works for you, and never let it go. It’s good to have a facial moisturizer as well as a body moisturizer (typically, what works for your body won’t work well for your face).
- Wear Sunscreen:
I am the biggest hypocrite when I say this — but please wear sunscreen! My entire life I have gone without wearing sunscreen, and although it hasn’t posed any problem for me yet, I do get a nice scolding every time I visit the dermatologist. You can talk to a doctor/dermatologist, or even a local pharmacist to find out what SPF is right for you.
- Stay Hydrated!
Drinking water if very important all year round, however it is extra important during the summer. Drinking water will not only keep you feeling on your toes, but it will help your complexion stay nice and clear. There is a mathematical formula for how many cups of water you should drink a day;
(0.5 x Your Body Weight in Pounds = Daily Fluid Requirement in ounces)
But if you’re not in the mood for math, it’s recommended that you drink anywhere from 8-12 cups of water a day.
These tips are also applicable in the winter, of course, but they’re especially relevant during the summer months (especially during the blistering heat of August).