Official Rules for the #TalesfromABestie Cover Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO WIN. ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED AND THE SKILL OF EACH ENTRANT.
Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories and possessions, Canada (excluding Quebec) and the United Kingdom, age 13 or older in the state or province of their residency at the time of entry.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter the #TalesfromABestie Cover Contest (the “Contest”), submit an essay or short fiction (750-2000 words maximum) about what your “bestie” means to you, why you admire her/him, how she/he has changed your life or an important moment/experience the two of you shared that helped you in an important way. Entries must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The essay must be included in the body of the email, along with the contestant’s full name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and age.
- Contest begins December 7, 2014, and all entries must be received no later than January 2, 2015, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (“Contest Period”). Limit one entry per person and per email account. Contest is sponsored by HelloGiggles.com LLC and Razorbill, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC (“Sponsors”). The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Sponsors. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt
- Entries will not be returned. By entering the Contest, contestants agree to abide by these official rules (“Official Rules”), and represent and warrant that the entries are their own and original creations, and do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party.
- Entry Guidelines: The Entry must meet the following guidelines:
- The Entry must be between 750 and 2000 words;
- The Entry must have an email file size less than 100 MB; and
- The Entry must comply with Hello Giggles Terms of Service, located at http://hellogiggles.com/terms.
Content Restrictions: The Entry must meet the following content restrictions:
- The Entry must not contain the last name, address and/or any other personally identifiable information of your “bestie”;
- The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another person’s rights, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
- The Entry must not contain brand names or trademarks;
- The Entry must consist solely of original content created by entrant;
- The Entry must not contain material that is hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Entry must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where Entry is created.
For all Entries: Failure of any Entry to comply with the above guidelines and restrictions, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion, may result in the disqualification from the Contest. All Entries will become the exclusive property of Sponsors, and none will be acknowledged or returned. Sponsors shall have the right to delete, edit, adapt and publish any or all of the Entries, and may use them in any media without attribution or compensation to the entrant, his/her successors or assigns, or any other entity. ENTERING AN ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES AN IRREVOCACBLE ROYALTY-FREE WORLDWIDE LICENSE TO SPONSORS TO REPRODUCE AND DISPLAY THE ENTRIES, OR ANY DERIVATIVE THEREOF, IN ALL MEDIA NOW KNOWN OR HEREAFTER DEVISED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE INTERNET AND IN THE PAPERBACK EDITION OF A TALE OF TWO BESTIES: A HELLO GIGGLES NOVEL, IN PERPETUITY. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may feature any Entries submitted in this Contest at any time during, or after, the Contest Period on any related websites, in any promotional materials, whether related or unrelated to the Contest, and at any other location, whether physical or online, that Sponsors, in their sole discretion, deem appropriate for the operation and promotion of this Contest.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsors assume no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected e-mail entries.
- On or about January 9, 2015, five (5) to ten (10) finalists will be selected by a qualified panel of judges comprised of Razorbill and HelloGiggles.com LLC staff members. The winning entry will then be chosen from this group of finalists.
- Entries will be judged based on style, content, clarity and creativity, with equal weight being given to each criterion. In the event of a tie between two (2) or more Entries, the entrant whose Entry received the highest score in the style category will be deemed the Grand Prize winner. The decisions of the judges and Sponsors with respect to the selection of the winner, and in regard to all matters relating to this Contest, shall be final and binding.
- Winner will be notified via email and/or telephone.
- There is one (1) Grand Prize, which includes:
- The winning essay featured on the HelloGiggles.com homepage and promoted on HelloGiggles.com and Penguin Teen social media channels;
- The winning essay’s author given the opportunity to write a weekly column on HelloGiggles.com for a period of three (3) months; and
- Two copies of A Tale of Two Besties, one for the winner and one for his or her bestie.
Approximate Retail Value of Grand Prize: $536.00
- Finalists Prize: The finalists chosen for judging who did not win the Grand Prize will have their essays published on the Hello Giggles.com website. Approximate retail value of Finalist Prize: $500.00
- All prize details are at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. The ARV of any prize is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded or redeemed.
- In the event that there is an insufficient number of qualified entries or if the Sponsor determines in its absolute discretion that no or too few entries meet the quality standards established to award the prizes, Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prizes.
Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories and possessions, Canada (excluding Quebec) and the United Kingdom, age 13 or older in the state or province of their residency at the time of entry. Eligible entrants who are under the legal age of majority in their state and/or country of residence (a “minor”) should get their parent or legal guardian’s permission to enter. A minor entrant will be required to prove parental consent in the form of an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release before he or she can be declared a finalist and/or a Grand Prize winner and any prize can be awarded. Employees of Sponsors, the Author and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in any way involved in the development, production or distribution of this Contest, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No cash substitution, transfer or assignment of prizes allowed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsors, who reserve the right to substitute a prize (or any portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, in their sole discretion. In the event of the unavailability of a prize or prizes, Sponsor may substitute a prize or prizes of equal or greater value. No refunds or credit for changes are allowed. Other restrictions may apply.
- Finalists and Winner may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release and Finalists and Winner may be required to obtain a signed release from his/her “bestie” (collectively, “Releases”) The Releases must be returned within fourteen (14) days (or a shorter time if required by exigencies) of notification. The failure of finalists/winner to respond and provide and provide the signed Releases within the stated time period may result in forfeiture of their prize and another finalist/winner will be selected from the eligible entries. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, will attempt to contact up to three (3) potential winners of the Grand Prize in accordance with the above procedure, after which the prize in question may go unawarded if it remains unclaimed. Should the ARV equal or exceed $600.00, winner shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
- By entering this Contest or accepting the prize winner and contestants grant to Sponsors the right to edit, publish, copy, display and otherwise use their entries in connection with this Contest as set forth herein, and to further use their names, likenesses, and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. By competing in this Contest and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsors, their parents, subsidiaries or affiliated companies, or the agencies of any of them and the authors and/or editors of any books promoted hereby (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all actions, claims, losses, damages or liabilities arising in any manner, directly or indirectly, from or relating to participation in this Contest and/or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize. The Released Parties shall not be liable for: (i) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (ii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iii) late, lost, delayed, stolen, misdirected, postage-due, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or affidavits, regardless of the method of transmission; (iv) any inability of winner to accept or use any prize (or portion thereof) for any reason and such prize or portion thereof shall be forfeited; or (v) any printing, typographical, human administrative or technological errors in any materials or activities associated with the Contest. The Released Parties disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest (or any portion of the Contest) at any time for any reason or should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention, extenuating circumstance or other problem/cause corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper play of the Contest and, in such situation, will select the winner from eligible non-suspect entries received prior to and/or after such action or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by the Sponsors. Sponsors may prohibit entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines Entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsors’ representatives. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES.
- Any dispute arising from this Contest will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and by entering the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes. Notwithstanding any other provision in these Official Rules and without waiving either party’s right to appeal such decision, should any portion of this provision be deemed invalid or unenforceable, then the entire provision (other than this sentence) shall not apply.
All expenses, including taxes (if any), related to receipt and use of prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
WINNER INFORMATION/OFFICIAL RULES
To obtain the list of the winner(s) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by July 2, 2015 to Penguin Young Readers Marketing, 375Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: #TalesfromABestie Cover Contest Winners List/Rules.
4470 W. Sunset Blvd.
Ste. 107 #204
Los Angeles, California 90027
An imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group
A member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC
345 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014