We admit it. We love celebrity gossip. When we’re not reading or writing HelloGiggles, our browsers occasionally find their way to TMZ and People and E!, and we get lost in everything about the lives of celebrities that gives us a short break from the drudgery of our own. It’s escapism. It’s schadenfreude. It’s brain candy. It’s… addictive.
And now we’re addicted to Pop Salad.
It takes a couple days to get the hang of it, but Pop Salad is basically Fantasy Football for celebrity gossip. And once you make one or two great trades, you’ll be hooked.
Here’s the low-down: Celebs are assigned scores (in “cheddar”) that change every half-hour based on how much that celebrity is being talked about on teh Internetz. The more buzz, the higher the score. As the buzz dies down, so does the score. As soon as you sign up, you’re given cheddar to use to buy celebs for your “crew.” You can sell those celebs at any time in the future — hopefully for a gain. The goal of Pop Salad is to buy low, sell high. (“When you read about it on CNN, it’s already too late.”)
Pop Salad players brag about their cheddar scores the way bloggers brag about their page views. Finally — you can prove that you’re “good” at gossip!
You can also use it as a way to get all your celeb gossip without having to read anything about Snooki or Heidi Montag (or whichever celeb you can’t stand) ever again. You just tell Pop Salad which celebs you care about (by adding them to your “Pipeline”) and you’ll get a customized news feed all day that’s just about those celebs. It’s one of those things that we didn’t know we needed, but now we can’t live without it. It pulls the news from some of our fave sources, too.*
Here are some tips we can share from a few weeks of totally obsessive game play:
- Safe bets: Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Britney Spears. If you can’t think of anywhere else to put your cheddar, put it on these gals. Even if they plummet in value in the short term, they’ll always come back up eventually. It’s like a metaphor for their careers. Actually, it is a metaphor for their careers. The whole game is literally a metaphor for celebrities’ careers. (This is why it’s so cool!)
- Read the graphs! Pop Salad has little graphs that tell you how a celeb’s score has changed in the past day, 3 days, week and month. If you’re not sure whether or not to buy a celeb, check these graphs! You can tell quickly if a celeb has already absorbed most of the potential gain for big news. (This is especially crucial when using the “Popular Buys” section to choose celebs!)
- Think lateral: When news broke that Nick and Vanessa Lachey were expecting a baby, their scores went up, but so did Jessica Simpson’s. And Eric Johnson’s score quadrupled! When Whitney Houston passed away, Michael Jackson’s score went through the roof too. Ask yourself who else the media will mention when they are covering a big story.
- Be an A-lister: The fastest way to move up on the leaderboards, other than playing obsessively and making smart trades, is to get on the “A-list.” You can do this by having a huge “Entourage” (get your friends hooked, duh) and by getting a high social score, which you get by leaving funny or brilliant comments on celeb news stories in the game.
- Get ideas from the people who work there: If you follow @popsalad on Twitter, their employees give tips a few times a week when they see news break and just know a celeb is going to go way up in value. They’re usually right.