Taking a small break from pumpkin desserts, I decided to lighten the pallet with a Vegan Hibiscus Ice Cream. Ice cream is much more than a summer treat. This refreshing dessert is the perfect pick-me-up after a decadent Holiday.
Hibiscus has a naturally tart lemon/berry flavor. When you combine it with creamy coconut milk, it creates a light and tangy treat. One scoop of this delicious dessert will leave you feeling very merry and bright. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Hibiscus Ice Cream
by Laura Friendly
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ice Cream Maker Time: about 25 minutes
Makes: about 4-1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 13.5-oz. cans coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free vodka or white rum
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add dried hibiscus. Turn water off and steep flowers for 15 minutes.
- Strain the hibiscus water through a fine mesh and return to the saucepan.
- Add in sugar, lemon juice and salt. Bring the liquid to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (sugar should be fully dissolved).
- Allow syrup to cool completely.
- Transfer hibiscus syrup into a blender. Add in coconut milk and vodka. Blend well.
- Pour liquid into your ice cream machine bowl, and churn for about 20–25 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve immediately.
- If you’d like a firmer consistency, transfer into a freezer safe container with lid, and freeze for about two hours to thicken.
note: the hibiscus syrup is a bit tart, so you can start by adding half of the syrup and increase to your desired taste
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!