There are many foods I miss, being dairy-free. Over the past several years I’ve had to find creative solutions to make-up for the missing dairy in my life. One of these creations is a Vegan Crème Fraîche. Crème Fraîche is similar to a sour cream. It’s thick and creamy and can be used as a dip, mixed into soups, or dolloped onto desserts. It’s so yummy!
The recipe I’m sharing today is very easy to make, inexpensive and tastes amazing! The flavor is a bit sour, tangy and delicious. It really does taste like dairy! I hope you enjoy.
Vegan Crème Fraîche
by Laura Friendly
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight, drained
- 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar, optional (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place cashews, yogurt, vinegar, agave and salt into a blender or food processor.
- Process until very creamy and smooth.
- Refrigerate for an hour, or overnight, to allow to thicken.
- Use within a week.
note: if the consistency is too thick, add additional plain soy yogurt, 1 tbsp at a time, until you reach your desired consistency
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!