Vegan Cream Cheese. Part of the fun of making your own cream cheese is that you can mess around with the flavor. This version has a slightly nutty taste that’s both fresh and light. If you want to get creative, try adding a little fresh basil, rosemary, or nutritional yeast. The possibilities are endless.
Vegan Cream Cheese
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
Makes: about 16 oz.
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight in water
- 1 12-oz. package of firm tofu
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Drain tofu and place between several paper towels or cheesecloth and squeeze out excess liquid and set aside. (the tofu will break up into pieces during this process.)
- Drain the cashews and pat dry with a paper towel. Put cashews into a food processor and blend until they become a paste. Add in the tofu and blend for about 3 minutes, until it is a creamy texture.
- Add in the lemon juice, agave, apple cider vinegar, salt and olive oil. Continue to blend for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the xanthan gum and blend for about 1 minute. The mixture should start to thicken up.
- Use the cream cheese right away or refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend.
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!