Fall is officially here and I’m excited! The leaves are changing color, people are pulling out sweaters, and fresh apples are everywhere. In honor of my favorite season I decided to celebrate by making something delicious, a Vegan Coconut Caramel Sauce. With hints of coconut, this sweet and smooth caramel is a delight in every spoonful.
Coconut + Sugar + Vanilla + Salt = Magic
Vegan Coconut Caramel Sauce
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 40 to 50 minutes
Makes: about 1-1/4 cups
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk fat (from 2 13.5-oz. cans of unsweetened, full fat, coconut milk)
- 1 cup vegan brown sugar
- 1 tbsp gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a nonstick sauce pan add the coconut milk fat. Refrigerate 2 (unshaken) cans of full fat coconut milk overnight. Scoop the fat out of the top of each can (together it should equal about 1-1/2 cups).
- Add in the sugar, vanilla, salt and whisk well. Bring to a boil, over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally.
- Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat to a low boil and cook for 35-45 minutes. Whisk fully every couple of minutes until the sauce has reduced by half. Around the 30 minute mark, the color should darken and texture begin to thicken. The longer you allow the sauce to cook, the thicker it will become.
- Allow caramel to cool slightly and use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container.
note: refrigerate in an airtight container, for up to 2 weeks—reheat to soften, if desired
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!