My favorite ice cream flavor is Butter Pecan. I love the rich taste of toasted pecans and vanilla. The past few weekends I’ve been working on a Vegan Butter Pecan Ice Cream. This recipe is very simple but delivers a tasty and delicious treat. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Butter Pecan Ice Cream
by Laura Friendly
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: may vary depending on technique
Ice Cream Maker Time: about 25 minutes
Makes: 1 quart (4 cups)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp gluten-free vodka, optional
- Melt 1 tbsp of vegan butter into a nonstick saucepan. Cook the pecans over low heat for about 3 minutes, until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Transfer pecans to a paper towel and allow to cool completely.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and place into a medium saucepan with coconut milk, sugar, 2 tbsp vegan butter and salt, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and chill the mixture completely.
- Once coconut mixture has chilled, transfer to a blender and add ⅓ cup of toasted pecans and vodka. Blend until pecans become very fine. If you want the ice cream to be even smoother, drain mixture through a sieve to remove any large pieces of pecan.
- Pour liquid into your ice cream machine bowl, and churn for about 25 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s instructions. The last 5 minutes drop in the remaining pecans. Serve immediately.
- If you’d like a firmer consistency, transfer into a freezer safe container with lid, and freeze for about two hours to thicken.
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!