So this past Thursday, I went to a Tumblr event, where I talked about how it changed my life.
It has, you know.
It’s a strange combination, right? Not really. Because on Tumblr, I can find people who like those things. Maybe not all three things at once, but that’s okay: Tumblr makes it possible to follow people who like super-specific things, like pugs! And being an awesome person and Ryan Gosling!
I mean, when Adam Yauch died, I went to the Beastie Boys’ Tumblrhoping to hear something from AdRock or Mike D. And I did. And I still felt sad of course, but it helped to hear from them. And when I’m having a tough day IRL, I can go to my own Tumblr page and find something that someone says somewhere in the Tumblr-verse that cheers me up.
More than any other place, Tumblr is my source of inspiration, information and giggles.
If you don’t know what Tumblr is, it’s a tool, really, where you can create your own blog. And like, easily create your own blog. And it can be about anything, and it can be all text or all photos or whatever. It’s amazing to have that much control over something you get to write. And you don’t have to be a writer on the level of F. Scott Fitzgerald; that’s so not the point. The point is to have your own voice.
So if you don’t have a Tumblr, here are a few reasons why you ought to start one right now:
- Easy AS: It’s so easy to sign up. All you have to do is go to the site and create your space. Also easy: doing it.
- ALL YOURS: Dude, you can start your own blog. That belongs to you, that you can name whatever you want. And no one can tell you DON’T.
- NO JUDGY-NESS: That’s the other thing: it’s non-judgmental. You don’t have people being all like, boooo on you because there’s no space for it on your blog. People have two options: like it with a heart sign or they can re-blog it, which means they like it so much, they want to share it with their own followers. I mean, when you reblog, you can comment, but in general, people are super honest and not re-blogging to be passive-aggressive, which is something I can’t stand in general.
- WHATCHA WANT: Your Tumblr can be about anything you want. You can have a whole blog devoted to how much you hate being single or having a BFFL or being in college again when you’re an adult. I love this about Tumblr, how specific you can be about what you want.
- THE REAL VOICE: YOURS! I mainly started a Tumblr so people would hear what I had to say about the world. And it made me so happy when people responded. And still does.
- WELCOME MAT: Tumblr is for everyone. So if you’re a hipster or super shy or a politician, you still have a home on Tumblr.
- F-F-FOLLOW YOU: Okay, I don’t mean this in the creepy way. I mean, when you have a Tumblr, people who are into what you’re into start following you. And there’s something really special about having a group of people who care about what you have to say and aren’t going to be snarky about it, but more like, super-supportive. Which, you know, sometimes you feel so alone, that you can look at your Tumblr and know that you’re not.
- PARENTS IN DA HOUSE: It doesn’t matter if your mom has a Tumblr. At least she has a place to put up your cute baby photos, and your friends don’t have to know about it.
- KARPKARPKARP: Speaking of which, Tumblr was started by another Karp, David. And no we’re not related. But he is super nice and so are all the people he works with and it was so inspiring.
- CALLING ALL DOCTOR WHO FANS: You hear me?
- IT’S FREE. Maybe I should have put this closer to the top.
- AHEM: And please don’t ask me why-do-I-need-a-blog? It’s not about needing. Check out reason #15.
- THE REAL WORLD: And also? I know the Internet is not a substitute for Real Life. Having a Tumblr is not a replacement for going outside to play; it’s an addition to all that. And let me tell you, after a long day in middle school, sometimes the last thing you want to do is run around in the park. Just remember what middle school was like and you’ll totally be like, oh yeah, I get it.
- GIFS : Come on, are you made of stone? GIFS are awesomesauce.
- BE YOUR OWN HERO: And really, why we start our own blogs is to express ourselves. To be creative. To be your own hero. And you know, there’s everything-awesome with that.
So that’s just a start for why you ought to start a Tumblr. And you know what? If you start one after you read this, LMK and I’ll follow you; we’ll be Tumblr BFFL’s!So do it. Like now. Start your own Tumblr.