Shopping and boys sometimes doesn’t mix, especially thrift/vintage shopping! I know only a handful of dudes that actually know or go vintage shopping. When I first started dating my current BF, he was grossed out by thrift stuff but he’s since stolen all of my soft vintage t-shirts and loves going to the flea market! I guess my point is that it’s possible and fun to thrift shop with boys. So, if the man/men in your life need a little sprucing for on-the-cheap, watch the above video of me styling my host/actor/magician friend Justin Willman AKA Justin Kredible to get some ideas on how to hunt… plus, Justin is cute and funny and knows magic!
Some Style(ing) Tips for Dudes:
- Shop Vintage! As you can see from my trip to Jet Rag with Justin, we found some major gems!
- T-shirts: Vintage t-shirts are great to pair with jeans, for casual looks or with a nicer pair of jeans and a blazer over for a little more dressed-up but still funky look. *Beware of t-shirts with a polyester mix, they tend to hold on to body odors and since it’s vintage, it may not be your body odor! If you have an aversion to vintage, just get some well fitting, cotton t-shirts in either a crew or v-neck – American Apparel has great ones of if you want to go a little fancier, I love James Perse.
- Vests: I love vests on guys! Many vintage shops will have suit vests sold separately, which look great worn over a casual collared shirt or with a t-shirt and jeans. Sweater vests can be cool too – just wear them casually so you don’t look too country club.
- Cardigans: Not just for nerds! Cardigans are great worn instead of the usual hoodie, it gives a geek chic vibe to any jeans and t-shirt outfit
- Collared shirts: A must for the office but also get some lightweight ones that you can wear more casually with jeans. Get a funky print or roll up them sleeves! Try under vests for a whole new spin.
- Jeans: Get well fitting jeans – slimmer fits are in! Ditch the baggy leg silhouettes and go for a slim leg or even a skinny jean!
- Blazers: A casual blazer is one of the best staple items you can have in your closet, guy or girl! Pick for fit first, it has to be comfy and something you can lounge in without feeling stiff. Then pick for color, get a neutral tone that will work with most anything in your wardrobe, I love me a nice navy blazer!
- Suit pants or khakis: Don’t be afraid to get funky with these! Get yourself a nice pair of vintage tweed pants and see how it feels with a casual button down shirt and blazer!
- Shoes: Get funky – have your staple comfy sneakers, a nice pair to wear with suits etc. and a wild card! Shoes are where guys can really get away with being a little more outside the box, try some vintage loafers or saddle shoes or boat shoes without socks! Hott!!!
- Accessories: Scarves, watches, jewelry, belts (get a brown and a black) – anything to layer with outfits and make you feel more styled and unique.
- Have fun with it! Surprise yourself!