I’m all about crafts. There’s nothing more satisfying than sitting down with my glue gun and bedazzling the crap out of a wooden letter “A”. The amount of dedication that I put into my crafts is a little bit ridiculous. One of my favorite pastimes is to create things that are representative of the things that I love (Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc).
Last week ,was the long awaited release of The Hunger Games. If you read my last article, you know that I was very excited to go watch it (the movie was glorious, by the way).
While I was waiting in line for the midnight premiere (got there at 7:30pm, so worth it) I noticed the amount of dedication of a lot of fans. I saw some seriously cool THG themed costumes and t-shirts. I was actually disappointed in myself for not wearing something in the spirit of THG. If I showed half of the dedication to my every-day life that I show to crafting things in honor of my obsessions, I would be unstoppable. I have spent hours designing and creating various t-shirts, bracelets and other accessories for theme-ing myself up.
It’s not just me, either – just look at Etsy. The amount of creative gear and decorations that have been inspired by books is, frankly, amazing. So here’s where we’re going to analyze these creative outlets. What would happen if we channeled all this energy and dedication into our normal, everyday lives?
1. My guess is that graduating Summa Cum Laude, or Valedictorian, would be a lot harder. Competition would be fierce. I’m sure my grades would have been a lot better in college if I had put in half the effort into studying as I did in making my Harry Potter themed t-shirts.
2. All those guys and girls who can make insanely elaborate costumes and jewelry could make some serious cash. Have you seen the effort that goes into some of the stuff people make?! If I had those skills, I would be sure to cash in on them.
3. Productivity, everywhere, would skyrocket. Everyone would be so pumped for work.
4. I’m sure that some really useful things could come out of channeling all this dedication into every-day life. Maybe the cure for cancer? I don’t know, but I’m sure that some creative solutions to some big problems could result from this.
5. World Peace. Mark my words, we would find a way to all get along.
I’m all about putting in as much time and effort as you want into your crafts – we all need that creativity fix. It’s an awesome way to show how much you love X. Plus, you know that no one else is going to be wearing the same shirt during the midnight screening. Personally, I plan to continue making as much book-themed stuff as I can forevermore. Crafting is a creative outlet and if you’re channeling that creativity into creating something in homage to Harry Potter, by all means go ahead (also, be sure to show me).
Image via Flickr, credit to WhiplashGirlChild