The time is upon us. Can you feel it in the air? The tingle of anticipation as hipsters dust of their vintage over-sized eyewear and artfully comb their ironic mustaches. The adrenaline rush of excitement for hardcore music fans as they pack up their comfortable shoes and intricately map out the ideal routes for cutting down stage-to-stage transit time for those back-to-back sets. Yes indeed, that glorious springtime exodus to the desert is here and I just have to come out and admit it… I’ve got Coachella Fever, folks!
I am what some might call a festival expert… a festpert? For both fun and work over the years I have been multiple times to Sundance, Comic-Con, Toronto Film Festival, Outside Lands, All Tomorrow’s Parties, Sasquatch, Ultra, SXSW, Austin City Limits, Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza. Let’s just say I probably take my festival attendance more seriously than most. If there’s a band I really dig, I will be in the front row of an 80,000 person crowd… no matter how long I have to stand in one spot in the blazing summer sun with no food or bathroom breaks (10 hours was the longest stretch). If there are 20 bands in one day that I just have to see, then I will walk those festival grounds nonstop in order to not miss a single guitar strum. That’s just how I do.
Surprisingly, in all my years of festival going, I have never been to Coachella. Shock! Gasp! I know. I lived in LA for 8 years and just never made it out there for one reason or another. Well, that injustice is about to be remedied this weekend since I was able to score myself a three-day pass to the sold out fest, and my excitement is reaching uncontainable levels! This year’s lineup is, in my humble opinion, one of the best to date. There are so many bands playing that I have never seen before and that is one of my favorite festival scenarios. The chance to see huge marquee bands like Florence + The Machine and The Black Keys (who I have seen a ton but still get giddy over) while also being able to see smaller up-and-coming bands like Sleeper Agent and We Were Promised Jetpacks for the first time is exactly what makes an event like Coachella so special.
So, if you aren’t able to make it out to the Empire Polo Club this weekend (or next weekend), never fear, Gigglers – I am here to be your HG portal to all things Coachella. As your eyes and ears in Indio, I will be able to snap front row shots from the photo pit, tweet out any celeb sightings, try not to get electrocuted by the Tesla Coil and see as many bands as is humanly possible in 3 days so I can report back to you next week with all the highs and hopefully no lows from this weekend (the rain is threatening the fun, so we’ll see).
As I head out for my desert adventure I put together this list of:
“Top Ten Things I’m Psyched for at Coachella 2012″
10. How many perfectly coiffed mustaches I can take pictures with
9. The fact that I can see both Girl Talk and Snoop Dog/Dr. Dre in the same day (my hip-hop loving 10th grade dream come true)
8. Getting to watch the aforementioned Tesla Coil do its magical thing (I know it’s science, not magic – but still a Harry Potter fan can hope)
7. Those legendary Coachella sunsets
6. Calculating the ratio of CamelBaks vs. Fanny Packs amongst the attendees
5. Seeing how long I can avoid using the port-o-johns each day (I’m a pro at this)
4. Meeting all the different people who like to wait long hours in the front to see their/my favorite band (I absolutely love making these new ‘festival friends’)
3. My BFF and Constant Festival Companion Eddie and I getting to see: The Big Pink, Sleeper Agent, Gotye, Grouplove, The Head and The Heart, The Shins, Wolf Gang, Manchester Orchestra, The Black Keys, Neon Indian, Feist, The Vaccines, The Hives, Band of Skulls, Arctic Monkeys, Santigold, Pulp, Kasabian, Beirut, GIVERS, Fitz and The Tantrums, M83, We Were Promised Jetpacks, The Rapture, Oberhofer, AWOLNATION, Explosions in the Sky, Swedish House Mafia, Yuck, Miike Snow, Kaiser Chiefs, Bon Iver and The Weeknd
2. Seeing if we can crash some swanky mansion party
1. Radiohead – I mean, seriously… RADIOHEAD!
So, check in with HelloGiggles all weekend and follow me on Twitter @JennieAlbano for all kinds of pics, updates, interviews, band reviews, shenanigans and general festival fun having. If you’re going to be at Coachella too, holler at me and let me know who you’re excited to see. Don’t forget to head back next week for my post-Coachella round up and to find out which parts of my Top Ten List came true.
Indio or Bust, y’all!
Coachella sign image via ShutterStock