I love the summer for a couple of reasons. I love the warm nights, the weekends spent by the pool, the great summertime pop songs (can we say ‘Call Me Maybe’…) and the strawberries that pop up in my backyard. They are tiny and sweet and make me happy in the deepest part of my heart. Pairing them with my favorite green (Kale!) just seemed like the right thing to do. I call this ‘The Pink Salad’ because the salad dressing is a puree of strawberries and once you toss it in the goat cheese it perfectly coats each curly piece of Kale with a hot pink hue.
The Pink Salad
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 cup of strawberries
- half of a shallot
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- splash of champagne vinegar
- squeeze of lemon
- pinch of sea salt
- crumbled goat cheese
- toasted walnuts
1. Wash Kale well and let dry. In a mixing bowl, drizzle 1 tbsp on olive oil on to the kale and massage until the leaves turn bright green and soften.
2. Using a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 cup of strawberries and half a shallot ’til smooth.
3. Add a splash of champagne vinegar, a squeeze of lemon, a pinch of sea salt and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Pulse 1 or 2 more times to blend.
4. Quarter remaining strawberries and toast walnuts under a hot broiler for 30-40 seconds.
5. Toss kale, strawberries, walnuts, goat cheese and dressing ’til evenly coated. Serve on a chilled plate and enjoy!
Visit RealGirlsKitchen.com for more healthy recipes!