Hey everyone, so if you are new to Ruby’s Corner, here’s something you should know about me: I am very close with my mom. Not many people have the same bond me and her do. I tell her everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. No matter what. My friends always say to me, “I can’t believe you tell your mom everything.” I have asked my friends why they don’t tell their moms any thing, never mind everything. They ALWAYS say to me, “I can’t talk to my Mom, she just doesn’t understand me.” And that makes me sad! So I have tips on how you guys can become closer.
MY ADVICE FOR GIRLS:
- So when you try to open up, start small. Say something maybe about how a girl is being mean or how your teacher was being weird or something that’s true that will get your Mom’s attention and put her Blackberry down. If you feel what your Mom says about it doesn’t really help, you don’t have to tell her more than you already have. If you feel she understood what you were saying, try opening up even more. You have to remember, they were our age once too. They could understand because they have probably been through the same things.
- Now, a lot of girls my age like boys or something like that. This is the most awkward situation of all of them and most people don’t want to talk about with their moms and I understand. I know that you are scared your mom will say something like, “Oh my goodness, you are just too young!” But you know what? You can’t control these feelings when you start having them, it doesn’t matter how old you are, right? So that’s what you have to explain to your Mom, you have to tell her that, you can’t turn the feelings off like a faucet! Because…you can’t really! And you’d really like to talk to your Mom about it. And after that maybe, you and your parents can make a deal like , you don’t need to date till a certain age but you can have crushes on people, which is a good deal, I think.
- Try to relax when you’re talking to your Mom. She loves you. Always remember that.
MY ADVICE FOR MOMS:
- If you want to get closer with your daughter, never open up the conversation with “How was your day?” Because seriously, your kid can just say, “Nothing” or “Good!” and go back to texting or whatever. Go to a specific question like, “Who did you have lunch with today?” or “Were the girls being mean to you again?” or something specific that’s about something, so you can start up a good conversation, not a boring one. Don’t be worried if she doesn’t want to talk immediately because, in school it isn’t easy to trust anyone because you don’t know if they will tell your secrets so your daughter has just spent her whole day being on guard, so she needs to warm up a little. So start with specific questions and be gentle. It is nice to have someone to talk to.
- You have to remember you were a kid too. It’s very frustrating when moms are like, whatever with your problems! Especially when your kid likes a boy! So maybe make a deal with your kid because I would be bummed if I couldn’t talk to my Mom about my boy problems. Also how would you feel if your mom had said to you that you couldn’t like boys! Oh, she did? And you felt bad? So why are you doing it to your daughter? It isn’t a good feeling so try to find a deal with each other because I am sure you have a good reason but remember, we are only kids. We’re not getting married. Not yet.
- AND DON’T GO TELLING THE OTHER MOMS! Oh yeah! I went there! Like if your daughter says, “Oh and this girl likes that boy,” don’t call that girl’s Mom and gossip with her. It’s totally the way to make your kid go, see, that’s why I can’t talk to my Mom.
Now, I don’t know how boys act with their parents so I cant really write about it but maybe you can use some of this advice for your son/dad too.
Do you have any tips? I’d love to hear about them, here, or any time on twitter/rubykarp.
See you next week!