After fan-favorite performances in Bridesmaids and Pitch Perfect, who wouldn’t expect laughs from ABC’s new Super Fun Night, the show promising to give us a weekly dose of Rebel Wilson.? Wahoo! Right? We all love Rebel for embodying total badass characters who don’t ever apologize for being who they are. Be it entitled, alpha roommate phasing out skinny Kristen Wiig or spending spring break hot-tubbing with six-pack hot guys while too-cool Anna Kendrick catches up on John Hugh movies, we prefer these roles where Rebel’s the defiant and outrageous Rebel we love—That’s the Rebel we want to see every week. Instead, we have Kimmie Boubier (Rebel) with an American accent and her two “loser” roommates Helen-Alice (Liza Lapira) and Marika (Lauren Ash) who vow to start going out on weekends to have “super fun nights” instead of staying in like they have for the last 13 years. In last week’s episode, the trio goes on a 3-and-3 group date—a la Grouper and The Dating Ring—at a trendy New York bar where all the food is served in Mason jars (aha, there is a connection!). After watching a tamed, bland version of Rebel in SFN, I desperately craved something zesty and spicy, which led us to Mason jar cajun sweet potato fries—tasty bar food that should have been at this cool restaurant instead of the jars of pickles and olives. Go make these fries now, and then enjoy them while we finish this rant.
The roommates go on a 3-on-3 group date.. Photo from ABC Studios.
So instead of the lovable Rebel that we’ve come to know, so far in SFN, the producers decided to give us the insecure stereotype. Kimmie’s still haunted by mean girls even though she’s a smart, junior lawyer who just got promoted. We’re suppose to laugh at jokes about boobs, spandex and other fat girl problems—Wait, Rebel’s fat? Thanks for clarifying every chance you get.. With quotes like, “You know the taxis don’t like stopping for us, ” there’s a fine line between self-aware jokes and asking for a pity party. How could the network take a brand like Rebel Wilson, and turn her into a martyr? Did ABC think we couldn’t handle seeing a confident big girl on TV? Come on, give us some credit. We’re the same viewers who flocked to watch your show because we’re obsessed with a character named Fat Amy.
Just last fall, another female comedian, Mindy Kaling (heard of her?) also got her own show. But Mindy plays a refreshingly over-confident, sassy, rom-com loving version of her awesome self. And recently gracing the cover, she told Parade magazine in the interview:
““I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’”
She’s only one of the most powerful women in TV right now—why would she be worth anything, right? I don’t quite understand why, Super Fun Night, is not that fun right now, but I still have hope. The cast is actually talented and this is Rebel Wilson, the show has it’s (rare) moments when we recognize her. I’ll be tuning in this week to see episode 3, which is actually written by the Australian comedian. Fingers crossed—hopefully something drastic happens like Kimmie gets in a car accident and wakes up from the comma with an Aussie accent and kickass self-esteem. Whoa, what if they actually let Rebel be Rebel.
Cajun Sweet Potato Fries (Adapted from Lemony Thyme.)
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into match sticks
- 2 teaspoons cajun spice (or make your own cajun spice)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut sweet potatoes into fries, about 3/8-inch to ½-inch.
- Combine fries, olive oil and seasoning on a baking sheet and toss until fries are well coated. Arrange on bakingin a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn fries over with spatylaand bake another 10 minutes or until browned to your liking.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle more cajun spice and pepper to taste. Arrange in Mason jar and serve with aioli.
- Bridey HeingNASA just announced a plan to send a human to Mars really soon
- Jessica TholmerEverything I need to know, I learned from ‘Hook'
- Sundi Rose-HoltA college student bought Google.com for $12. We kid you not.
- Kathryn LindsayHow Facebook came together to give two people in love the wedding they deserved
- Marie LodiAttention space nerds: put the solar system on your wall