Who loves ma home gurl Tay Tay? I do! And my friends do! But I’ve noticed that not everyone is on board with my home gurl Tay Tay (I’m going to stop saying that now) and she has been getting a lot of hate. Now, if you don’t know that much about Taylor Swift, here is a quick recap:
- Taylor Swift was born December 13, 1989. Read that again. NINETEEN EIGHTY-NINE. And keep that in mind as I tell you what she’s accomplished in the years from 1989 until now.
- She has always wanted to be a singer.
- In 2006, she came out with her first album, the self-titled Taylor Swift. It was very country; there’s a song called ‘Tim McGraw’ which is a love song, actually. “When you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think of me.” I love this line. So many of Taylor Swift’s songs are this personal, this full of wanting a boy to think of her, or like her, or remembering a moment they shared.
- ‘Our Song’ was Taylor’s first hit, right off that Taylor Swift album.
- In 2008, Taylor was nominated for the Grammy Award for the Best New Artist, but lost that one to Amy Winehouse.
- Later that year, Taylor came out with what would be her best-selling ever album, Fearless, which featured the songs ‘Love Story’ and ‘You Belong To Me’. Check them out and you’ll get why they became HUMONGOUS hits.
- In 2009, Taylor won a VMA and met Kanye West and got to see why Beyoncé is such a queen.
- In 2010, Taylor became the youngest artist ever to win the Grammy award for Album of the Year for Fearless.
- In 2010, she came out with a new album called Speak Now. It sold over 1 million copies after the first week. OVER ONE MILLION!!!
- And now, like right now, we’ve been getting little bits of Taylor, like the song ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’ and ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’, all in anticipation of the latest and greatest album coming out on October 22, Red. Yay, Taylor!
So while thinking of ideas for this week’s article, I thought I would write about how amazing an artist she is. I mean, she’s accomplished so much, not just in winning awards, but in becoming a musician, which is super hard. But while doing my research, I noticed a lot of hate. So, I did what a normal Ruby does when confused by seeing all this not-nicesness. I Googled it. Yeah. I looked up “Why are people hating on Taylor Swift?” and I can not tell you how many hate articles popped up, with people saying mean things like “She can’t sing!” and “It’s all auto-tune.”
Okay, I understand people are entitled to their own opinion. I get it. T-Swizzle isn’t some people’s type! And that’s okay. But don’t hate on other people’s opinions for it. Some people just don’t like that type of music! No biggie. But for those of you who just have to dis on Taylor Swift, you need to realize a few things:
- Taylor Swift is a HUGE inspiration to girls all over the world. Don’t take that away from them (US!).
- Taylor creates music girls my age, younger and older can appreciate. Some of her songs make us feel awesome, and others make us feel like, awww, Taylor, it’s gonna be okay. And both things and all the things in between are things girls can appreciate.
- What is wrong about writing love songs? That’s where she is in her life. And also, a love song is deep, it’s emotional, it’s part of her experience. Maybe you can’t relate to being dumped or liking a boy, but there are so many of us who can.
- We don’t care what famous person she’s dating.
- Girl artists tend to be the target of mean comments. They’re too fat or they’re too skinny or they’re too whiny or they’re too nice or they’re too inappropriate or they’re too auto-tuned or they’re not The Beatles or they’re….ARGH!!!!! Why? I don’t know. Is it such a crime against humanity that a girl is making music that MILLIONS of people listen to?
- HATE is a bad word. As bad as the other words that are bad. I understand, you may not like that type of music but NEVER say you hate HER. If you “hate” her music, okay. But HATE Taylor? What is that? Do you know her? Did you go have ice cream with her and she was like, meh, I don’t want to be your friend anymore? Don’t leave the negative comments on the YouTube channels and instead, go for a run in the great outdoors. Or pick up some flowers for your mom. Channel the bad energy into something good.
Yeah. So there you go. Taylor Swift. To me, she’s awesome. Hopefully to you, too. And for the people who are not on the same page as me, and on behalf of all Tay Tay fans, stop hating on Taylor! It’s not nice.