Hey pretty babies with your high heels on, it’s Michael Jackon’s birthday and that means don’t stop ’till you get enough. Let this Michael Jackson mix be your soundtrack for the day. Who’s bad?
We’ve all heard the hits many a time (do you remember the time?) so most of this mix is a twist on the hits. Live off the wall!
A final note: as much as I love Paul McCartney (and that’s a hell of a lot) ‘The Girl Is Mine’ is a too stupid of a song for me to include. Sorry!
1. ‘MJ Vs. The Who’ – TGIK. ‘Black Or White’ slammed against The Who’s ‘Baba O’Riley’ (AKA the song that goes, “Teenage wasteland” and is used in the opening for one of the 80,000 CSI shows.) I think I’ve said enough.
2. ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ – Michael Jackson. Britney Spears once sang this with MJ. Don’t laugh, it was pretty good. Very entertaining. This is the original version. See how it makes you feel.
3. ‘Blame It On The Boogie.’ – Jackson 5. This is a great song to start a dance party. That is, if your friends show up. My friends never show up to my parties. This works out pretty well because it means I can dance while eating a giant container of cookie dough without judgement.
4. ‘Off The Wall.’ – Michael Jackson. I played this at a jukebox at a bar and it got everyone on the dance floor. It was my achievement of the month.
5. ‘Lovely One’ – Jackson 5. Again, if you have friends, this is a great party pick. I’m not bitter or anything.
6. ‘Thriller’ – Vitamin String Quartet. – Never before has ‘Thriller’ sounded so elegant. Good to play during a candlelit dinner. More cabernet?
7. ‘Ben.’ – Michael Jackson. This song has a beautiful melody. For some reason it makes me want to duet with a muppet. I just think me and Grover would tear it up.
8. ‘Man In The Mirror.’ – Michael Jackson. Are you gonna make a -change-a? For once in your life? Spoiler alert: the man in the mirror is all of us.
9. ‘You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me.’ – MJ. This is one of those classics that everyone has covered at some point, so why not just throw it in here? Yeah, I’m just gonna leave it here.
10. ‘Will You Be There’ – MJ. I think this song was from Free Willy 2, right? In 5th grade my friends and I spent the weekend making and rehearsing choreography to this song for the school talent show. Our audition comes and everyone forgets the choreography so it turns into a bunch of 5th graders flailing about on the stage with fear in their eyes. We didn’t make the cut.
11. ‘Come Together.’ – MJ. Beatles tribute, y’all. And don’t worry about McCartney losing his catalog to MJ because I have a feeling that he’s doing just fine.
12. ‘Let’s Dance Bad.’ – Funk That Shit Productions. David Bowie and Michael Jackson were friends at some point (and by friends I mean that they were in a photo together) so it’s only natural that this mash-up would happen. It’s a little clunky but it’s fun.
13. ‘Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough’ (Alex M’ House remix) – Disco Thequo ft. Claas. I have no idea who any of these people are but this is a tasty little remix.
14. ‘Billie Jean 2008 Kanye West Mix’ – MJ. Did you know that fur pillows are actually hard to sleep on? If not for Kanye this groundbreaking information would never have been uncovered. When people question why I like Kanye West I point to his tweets. Then his music.
15. ‘ABC’ (alternate version) – Jackson 5. I think I like this version better than the original. It’s a little more mellow but it’s also a little cuter. And the original reminds me of every family movie/romantic comedy trailer ever made.
(If you don’t have spotify just request an invite and they’ll send you one within a few minutes.)
Cover art by the most excellent Emily.