If you like tannins, you’ll love this recipe. I decided to combine my two favorite things and make my absolute favorite cupcakes: Red Wine Velvet.
That’s right, I was able to take Tami Taylor’s drink of choice and combine it with chocolate to make some fabulous cupcakes. Add red wine cream cheese frosting (which naturally turns out pink) and gold sprinkles and you have a dessert perfect for a girls’ night … or any night.
What you’ll need …
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt with a splash of lemon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup wine
- Red food coloring to get that red velvet color!
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Red Wine Cream Cheese Frosting …
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 tbs arak extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
Mix the butter and sugar. Blend in eggs. Then mix in yogurt, buttermilk, red wine and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add these dry ingredients. Stir in cocoa powder. Now add desired red food coloring to get that red velvet color. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 F.
Drink wine and have cupcakes!