Roasted garlic is one of the most versatile things you’ll ever make. This magical, kinda salty, kinda sweet substance is also perfect for holiday parties. Ok, it might not make your breath super mistletoe appropriate, but it’s a delicious appetizer spread on bread or crackers. Aaaaand roasted garlic is the little black dress of flavoring; it goes with everything! Really, everything; roasted garlic is ideal for adding depth and flavor to all kinds of dishes. Add it to hummus or other dips, stir it into pasta sauces, throw it into chicken soup, mash it into potatoes, put it on pizza, blend it with butter…the options are endless!
Also, garlic is supposed to be really good for you. This method is the method I learned from my mom. I’m biased, but I think it’s the best.
makes 6 heads (a little over a cup of individually roasted cloves)
total time: 50 minutes
total hands on time: 5 minutes
What you’ll need:
6 heads of garlic
about 3.5 tbsps olive oil
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Chop the tips of of each head of garlic, so they look like this:
2. Peel off just the outermost layer of skin. You want the individual heads to remain attached to each other.
3. Transfer the garlic heads to a pan you’ve lined with aluminum foil and drizzle the olive oil over them, making sure all exposed parts of the garlic are covered. Add salt, too.
4. Wrap it all up into a little bundle, like a Depression-era hobo’s bag, but filled with garlic:
5. Roast it for approximately 45 minutes. Ovens will vary, so check in from time to time. When it’s done the garlic itself will be a golden color and soft; you’ll be able to easily pull out a clove with a fork:
Once it cools, you can squeeze or pull out the cloves with your hands. It will keep for a few days in the fridge (store it in a container with a lid) or you can also freeze it to use later.
My favorite way to eat this is just to smush it and spread it on bread with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. But, as I mentioned before, roasted garlic is crazy-versatile, not to mention customizable. Try it with infused or flavored olive oil, sesame oil, different kinds of herbs or even fancy gourmet salt!