My name is Leticia and I have an unusual name. Growing up, my name was a burden because I was constantly having to correct the pronunciation (“it’s leh-tea-sea-ah”) and give my nickname (please call me Lety, leh-tea).
But after 24 years, I have come to embrace my name and, dare I even say it, love my name. So if you’re like me and have a not so normal name, I have come up with a top 10 list of reasons to embrace your name! That’s if you’ve already done so.
1) Great conversation starter – after you’ve introduced yourself, someone will ask what your name means. It’s a great ice breaker and keeps conversation flowing.
2) Easy nickname!
3) Not having the first letter of your last name attached to your first name, i.e. being referred to as “Lety F.” Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just not my style.
4) Getting super excited when you hear your name in a movie, tv show, song. I don’t know about you, but that would make my day.
5) You can automatically form a bond with a stranger with the same name.
6) You have the freedom to spell it anyway you want, and it wouldn’t be wrong. Adding an extra “t” or using “i” instead of “y” is your choice and people wouldn’t question it.
7) Yes, that person calling your name on the street IS referring to you. Awkward moment averted!
8) Getting to learn the origin of your name and fun facts. For example, I share a name with a previous First Lady and a Colombian city. How cool is that?
9) It’s memorable. Sure, people may get it wrong, but they will remember it. Incorrect spelling and all.
Lastly, and probably the most important reason
10) That username is always available. Yay! I don’t have to make up 10 variations of my twitter handle followed by a number.
So there you have it fellow unusual namers, 10 reasons you should love your name. I hope this inspires you (and common namers as well) to learn to love your names and rock them!
If not, well…you can always legally change it.
You can read more from Leticia Flores on her blog.
feature image via.