After a long holiday weekend gorging on grilled items and consuming more cocktails than I care to remember, I needed something crisp and hearty to kick-start my return to real life. I wanted something that would leave me full but feeling clean, and there is no better leaf for that than kale.
Kale is one of the best vegetables on the block for you. Not only does it aid the body in detoxing with its isothiocyanates (ITC) from glucosinolates, but it is an excellent source of fiber, anti-oxidants, and vitamins A,K, and C. It has zero grams of fat and only 36 calories per cup.
I’m not a huge fan of steamed kale (or even kale chips), but this raw kale salad is the best salad I’ve had in a long time. Perfect for a meal of serious roughage, or as a side dish to a fresh main course, I think my boyfriend nailed this summery salad on the head. I’m honestly bummed we didn’t leave any for me to have for lunch today.
• 1 large bunch kale
• 15-20 cherry tomatoes
• 1/3 cup Sprouts
• 2 avocados
• 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
• 3 tablespoons hummus*
• 1 large lemon
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar
• 1/3 cup feta cheese
1. In mixing bowl whisk together hummus, juice of one lemon and vinegar. Set aside.
*In this particular recipe, we highly recommend a chipotle-flavored hummus. If you cannot find chipotle hummus, just mix together a little chipotle hot sauce with regular hummus.)
2. Rinse and chop kale into reasonable salad size leaflets and add to large bowl.
3. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add to bowl.
4. Add sprouts, sunflower seeds, olive oil and feta cheese.
5. Then add hummus, lemon and vinegar from earlier mixture and toss.
And last but not least, chow down!
Planning on whipping these delicious greens up? Let us know how it goes in the comments!
Big thanks to my amazing boyfriend & the best cook I know, Ben. ♥