When I was in high school, I thought about starting a band with my friends so we can hang out, make music and avoid getting real jobs because, of course, the whole point was to become a rock star. That never happened and in a way, I’m grateful. I have great friends that have I’ve been lucky enough to have in my life since I was a kid and I would hate to ever be in a situation where our friendship was in jeopardy. Which brings me to this week’s Instant Movie pick, That Thing You Do! (1996) This movie is a little heartbreaking, pretty realistic and a whole lot of fun! So watch because you’ll find:
- Tom Everett Scott as the adorable drummer in the fictional band, The Wonders, who wears his trademark sunglasses in every performance. He’s pretty much too cute for words.
- Liv Tyler as the beautiful girl next door, Faye, who happens to be dating a grade A jerk. Doesn’t it seem to always happen that way?
- It seems like the ’60s were an epic time for fashion, so you should expect to see lots of great fashion pieces. (Keep an out of Charlize Theron’s character!)
- The hit single from the movie, also called ‘That Thing You Do!’ will get stuck in your head. Trust me, I still catch myself humming it every now and then!
- Lastly, the lesson you’ll learn: sometimes you don’t know the people closest in your life at all.
This week, treat yourself to a great flick and some iced oatmeal cookies (because my friend Oliver keeps talking about them) and giant glass of milk. Enjoy this film with those closest to you and I promise you’ll have a blast!
Image provided by hulu.com