The ultimate love story: two crazy kids fall in love and kill themselves. I remember reading the play as a kid but I didn’t completely fall in love with the play until I was fresh out of ‘tweenhood and watched Baz Lurhmann’s version of Romeo + Juliet (1996). It was also the very first film (besides Dumbo) that made me cry. I just couldn’t believe that the incredibly cute boy from Growing Pains and Angela from My So-Called Life were dead. Well, dead in the movie. It was certainly an amazing movie then and now it’s on Instant viewing, aren’t we lucky? Here’s why you should stay in and watch:
- Leonardo DiCarprio and Claire Danes, two great and adorable actors. It’s so cute watching their courtship unfold while they both have baby faces.
- John Leguizamo as Tybalt. I’m going to be honest, besides To Wong Foo, he has done nothing I’m a fan of except for playing Tybalt. Doesn’t he have the perfect villain face?
- The soundtrack is great! I still listen to it to this day! Every overly-emotional girl in the ’90s overplayed Garbage’s ‘#1 Crush’ to death, am I right?
- Paul Rudd as Paris. In this version of Romeo + Juliet, I would have been totally okay with Juliet not marrying Romeo and sticking with Paris. Paul Rudd is a stone cold fox.
- The infamous fish tank scene. How romantic is it to spot someone on the other side of a fish tank and fall in love? Super romantic. I bet fish tank sales sky rocketed after this movie was out.
For this movie, you’ll need popcorn, cookies and milk and an entire box of tissues. Yes, you’ll cry but it’ll be a good cry. Plus, we all need to just let it out sometimes and sobbing during this movie is a great excuse! Also, if you’re interested, the classic version of Romeo and Juliet is also on instant!
Photo provided by iheart.themudflats.net