If given the chance, would you go back to high school and do it all over again? Personally, I’d have to kindly decline. It was tough being semi-goth angry girl who was busy being an anglophile music lover. Yes, I was one of those girls who listened to Morrissey tapes on her Walkman every day, clearly I was suffering. Those formative years are behind me and they can stay there. In the meantime I’ll watch Drew Barrymore do it all over again and get it right. This weeks Instant Movie pick is Never Been Kissed (1999), my favorite movie about the cruelness of high school and that one special hot teacher that can make it a little better. Join the denominators tonight and you’ll find:
- It’s one of my favorite Drew Barrymore movies! I know she has a lot of movies that makes girls cry, but this one is especially tender. Awwwww.
- Michael Vartan plays the super cute English teacher that is hot because he’s smart. Also because he has a beautiful face. Also, look closely, James Franco is in there too.
- The soundtrack is way deep for a teen movie. It includes such moody kid favorites as, ‘Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want’ by The Smiths and ‘Erase/Rewind’ By The Cardigans.
- I love the bond between brother and sister in this movie between Drew and David Arquette. It reminds me a lot of my brother and I, we have absolutely nothing in common but we are there for each other no matter what.
- The most important part of high school, that first kiss. Yes, back when kisses were a huge deal. Who wants to be that naive again?!