Remember the days when fitting in was super important? When it didn’t work out for those of us who didn’t actually fit in, we retreated to our rooms and drowned our sorrows in books and Morrissey songs. As we grow older, it’s easier to see that being who we are is pretty darn cool and looking back at those desperate times is just plain embarrassing. Which brings me to this weeks instant movie selection, Muriel’s Wedding (1994). Muriel is just like many girls: socially awkward, insecure, and in love with a guy she thinks is perfect, but will she realize that just being herself is good enough? Hmmm, you should watch and find out! If you’ve seen this movie already, here are some reasons to watch again:
- It’s all Abba from beginning to end. It’s cheesy, I know, but I can’t help loving it!
- Like most of my favorite films, there is a wonderful subplot about finding your BFF.
- The movie is set in Australia so everyone has the cutest accents!
- I’ve yet to decide if the fashion is really really bad or really really good, I may need some feedback on this for clarity.
- You’ll both empathize and cheer Muriel on, I mean that’s just like the rules of feminism!
Check your insecurities at the door, grab a box of Girl Scout cookies and a wine glass full of milk (because we deserve the good china everyday) and watch the tale of a girl becoming herself.
Image by theperennialteenager.blogspot.com