In a time before we were using the term “Queen Bee” and fearing Regina George-esque girls, the teens of yesteryear feared Heathers (1989). Yes, now you can watch Heathers on instant! (Stands on soapbox) Hear this! Do you like movies with romance, action, deception, teen drama? Look no further! This tale of truly mean girls in will have you fearing teenage girls now more than ever. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll cringe at some of the clothes and most of the make-up. The critics (when I say ‘critic’ I mean me) agree… Anyway, a unique twist on the “popular girls” genre, Heathers is equal parts teen dark dramedy and action, all while being an indie movie. So why should you care?:
- Winona Ryder, ladies and gentleman. She’s the best – we’ve raved about her before, right?
- It won an Independent Spirit Award for Best First Feature.
- The movie takes place in 1989…so the fashion is wretched. I’m sorry, it’s the shoulder pads! Anyhow, these outfits are a must see!
- Vintage “bad girl” Shannon Doherty. You know, like when she was on 90210.
- And the most important reason to watch: Winona Ryder wears a monocle. Yes.