Before Gwen Stefani said, “Why do the good girls always want the bad boys?”, John Waters gave us Cry-Baby, the story of a girl who is just too good to be real and the story of a boy too bad to be brought home to mom and dad. That takes me back to sitting in my high school math class, staring at the ‘bad boy’ who just didn’t care about anything. Back then, everything he did was so cool. “Oh look, he’s napping…how cool. He didn’t turn in his homework… how cool. He’s drawing gargoyles in his text book… how cool.” You get the picture. Let’s go back to a time when we were easily impressed and a good head of hair meant the world. Watch this weeks Instant Movie pick because:
- It stars my favorite bad boy of all time, Johnny Depp!
- Although the film is a musical parody, the music is fun to listen to with the windows rolled down and the radio on full blast.
- A bad boy needs a bad role model, and also starring in Cry-Baby is veteran bad boy Iggy Pop!
- It’s written and directed by John Waters, so you know the movie is equal parts fun, truth and raunchiness. Did I mention there is a character named Hatchet Face?
- Lastly, set in the 1950s, the fashion is fun! Big hair and tight skirts are my fave!
So put the kiddos to bed early (it’s not exactly family friendly) and snuggle up to the mister with some cookies and milk. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll probably have milk pouring out of your nose too but that’s okay, we’d do it all for the bad boys!
Image provided by gpssurlacomete.wordpress.com