Want to wake up dull, tired-looking skin without applying a face full of makeup? New York City-based makeup artist Katie Jane Hughes shares her secrets for creating a fresh, dewy look in just a few simple steps. You’ll look natural, glowing, and bright—like you got a full night’s sleep (even when you didn’t).
Follow these steps
1. Massage a face moisturizer into your skin using upward strokes. Tip: spend a little extra time rubbing it in to boost circulation and decrease puffiness. Try Too Cool For School Egg Mellow Cream ($36; sephora.com)—egg yolk extract hydrates dry skin while egg white extract helps firm up skin. It works double duty as a primer, too.
2. Apply a luminizing concealer to trouble spots—dark circles, redness, zits, then down the center of your nose. Hughes is using Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat ($42; sephora.com). Then blend using a foundation brush. It’s an easy way to fake flawless skin without having to wear a full face of foundation.
3. Next, squeeze a dab of super thick cream—try Weleda Skin Food ($13; amazon.com)—on the heel of your hands. Rub palms together, then press them onto your cheekbones (consider this a more natural-looking alternative to shimmery highlighter). This multipurpose salve works on both the face and body, and leaves skin with a pretty sheen.
4. Dot any excess cream onto your eyelids, lips, and down the bridge of your nose for a healthy glow.
5. Dust bronzer into the hollows of your cheeks, along your temples, and along your jawline. A good one: Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow ($68; charlottetilbury.com).
This article originally appeared in Real Simple.