May 2nd is Space Day!
Space: The final frontier. Ahh, the sci fi nerd in me is showing, but that’s okay because today I have a logical excuse. It’s Space Day! A day in which I can make as many Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, or just any generally science-nerdy jokes that I want. And you can bet I’ll be taking advantage of that (see below for some of my favorite Space Day space puns). It’s perfect timing too, because Space Day will get you warmed up for Star Wars Day and all the puns that will ensue (May the fourth be with you…).
On a more serious note, outer space is pretty amazing. And by amazing, I mean totally mind-blowing. Galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, black holes, asteroids, comets, shooting stars… the list goes on. Space is one of those things where the more you know, the more you realize you don’t know. It can be overwhelming. Space Day was originally created in 1997 by Lockeheed Martin Corporation in order to get the younger population in the United States interested in math and science. It was focused on creating an interest and awareness of all kinds of topics and issues in relation to outer space.
How to Celebrate
Celebrating Space Day is a must, and with these three spectacular ideas, there is just no excuse:
- Stargazing. This is one of my favorite things to do, period. All you need is a blanket or two, a thermos of hot cocoa, and a few stargazing pals. Find a good spot without many bright street lights around where you can lay down a blanket and get a good view of the night sky. Thankfully, since the nights are getting warmer (as we quickly approach summertime), it is the perfect time of year to stargaze.
- Space Party. I’ve always wanted to throw a space-themed party. I’ve even done research on fun drinks and treats to make, good costume ideas, and space themed games to play. At first glance when you Google “Space Party” you get a lot of great party ideas… for your little cousin Zac’s 9th birthday party. But then you’ll find gems like this Pinterest board. Amaze.
- Use as many Space Puns as you can. Here are a few of my favorite space puns and jokes:
- It’s time to celebrate, don’t space out!
- How does a man on the moon get a hair cut? Eclipse it.
- How does the Earth get clean? It takes a meteor shower.
- I considered taking that astronomy class in college, but I knew I would just be taking up space.
- Someday when NASA puts 20 herd of cattle into outer space, it will be the first herd shot around the world.
- People who study the moon are optimists. They look at the bright side.
- He knew everything about constellations. Some might say his knowledge of the night sky was astronomical.
- How do you organize a space party? You planet.
Video of the Day
Throwback! Let’s take a trip down memory lane and watch this awesome clip from Bill Nye the Science Guy about planets and moons. (RIP Pluto, you were always my favorite planet, until you weren’t a planet anymore…)