December 13th is Ice Cream Day!
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Wait a second… it’s cold outside. And I think the recent cold snap has my body in permanent shock. I seldom turn off the horrible, ancient wall heater in my apartment, despite the fact that it only warms the two feet of air surrounding it. Ice cream might seem like the last thing in the world that I would want to consume. But this is where ice cream defies logic. It could be snowing. We’re talking blizzard conditions. An ice storm. No matter what the weather, I am never too cold for an ice cream treat.
What is so special about ice cream? Well, think about it.
1. Ice cream comes in so many flavors. Hundreds. Thousands. And don’t even get me started on toppings. No matter your palate, there is (at the very least) one flavor out there that suits you. I guarantee it.
2. An ice cream dessert can be classy, or casual. You can eat it for dessert at a fancy restaurant, or while watching New Girl in your jammies on your couch.
3. Ice cream is versatile. Have it how you like it: in a bowl, on a cone, next to your slice of apple pie, sandwiched between cookies, or blended into a rich milkshake.
4. Ice cream can be for everyone. There are yummy ice cream alternatives for those with food allergies or dietary concerns. All of the ones that I have tried have were delicious.
5. Ice cream has been around forever. People have been enjoying ice cream cones since the late 1800s.
6. Ice cream brings people together. Too broke to go out to dinner with your girlfriends? Go out for ice cream. Want to bring dessert to the party but you are horrible at baking? Bring ice cream. Picture your childhood birthday parties, complete with your favorite cake and… what else? Your favorite ice cream. Ice cream makes memories, and though it is good alone, it is best shared.
How to Celebrate
Have an ice cream party! Tell each guest to bring a pint of their favorite flavor to share. Provide a ice cream toppings bar and big bowls. And since it is the holiday season, you may want to have some fun, seasonal flavors available for your guests to try. My personal favorite? Peppermint ice cream. You know, the kind with actual pieces of peppermint and candy cane mixed in. Pure holiday bliss.
Quotes of the Day
“When I’m no longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.”
- Snoop Dogg
“Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone.”
- Jim Fiebig
Featured image via ShutterStock