Today (April 15th) is Emma Thompson’s birthday! Let’s celebrate by taking a look at a few things that make Emma so awesome. Here are some fun facts and trivia on the Hollywood goddess who seems to get cooler with age.
- Emma is married to Greg Wise, who was one of her costars in the 1995 movie Sense and Sensibility. They hit it off on set, despite him being cast as the slimy love interest of Kate Winslet’s character. Greg, I might add, is an extremely handsome man, and even though I hated his guts as Mr. Willoughby in the movie, who wouldn’t melt at the sight of such a dashing guy? Emma, you’re a romantic.
- Elinor is the name of the character that Emma played in Sense and Sensibility, as well as the name of the character that she provided the voice for in Disney’s Brave. A very interesting coincidence.
- Emma didn’t pursue acting right away. She went to Cambridge University to study English Lit, which seems so fitting to me, as she is clearly such a well read and intelligent lady. But despite pursuing other things, Emma was eventually drawn in to acting when she joined the Cambridge Footlights theatre club. After she completed her degree at Cambridge, Thompson tried out stand-up comedy, but that didn’t stick. She then worked in television and started pursing more serious roles in movies.
- Sophie Thompson is Emma’s younger sister, who is also a successful actress. You probably recognize her from such hits as Eat Pray Love, Emma, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. Acting runs in the family, as Emma’s parents were both involved in the theatre.
- London, England is where Emma was born, and it is also the city she calls home today. She lives there with her husband and daughter, Gaia, who was born in 1999.
- Not only is Emma a successful actress and caring parent, she is also a philanthropist. She has served as an international ambassador for ActionAid, which is an organization that works to end extreme poverty in poor countries. Thompson has also been involved with Greenpeace in its action to stop the expansion of London’s Heathrow Airport, and she is also a supporter of the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the Refugee Council. You go, girl! Balancing a
successful acting career, various philanthropic causes, and also focusing on family is no small task.
- Emma has the ability to play serious roles with grace and passion, but also can take a more comedic role and show off her wit and humor. I mean, do I even need to say anything about Love Actually? It’s on almost every girl’s go-to list of rom-com must-haves. Other classics that Thompson has starred in include Much Ado About Nothing, Stranger Than Fiction, Nanny McPhee, Brave, Saving Mr. Banks, The Love Punch… and the list just on. One of the great things about Emma is that she will continue to perform in such a way that we will only make us continue to obsess over her. She is one of the actresses that I count as one of the greats of our time.
- And best of all? Emma speaks the truth. Here are a few inspiring quotes:
“A lot of very beautiful women can be a pain because all they’re thinking about is how they look.” – Emma Thompson
“I’ve realized that in all the great stories, even if there’s a happily-ever-after ending, there’s something sad.” – Emma Thompson
“I have to write for everyone. What really fascinates me is how you make films or make stories that can genuinely be shared by different groups.” – Emma Thompson
Happy birthday, Emma!
Featured image via listal